Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my mother in law about the bee as she reminist about her childhood with her father keeping bees. She was talking about all the honey mess in the kitchen from all the hand exstracting. Then she started talking about her daddy catching swarms out of the air. She said that her mom was usually the one that saw them and would holler to papa that the bees were swarming. She said that her mom would bring out a pot and spoon to papa and he would beat them together and the swarm would come down out of the air then he would catch them and go about his day. I thought this was odd so I posted it to see if there were anyone that has heard of this. If it works that would be great. I read a lot about folks watching swarms fly off into the blue yonder. anybody heard of this or done it? Doeboy

·
Registered
59 Posts
I once had a swarm take off on me just as I was setting up to capture it. Started beating on the ladder with a hive tool and they settled right back down in a couple minutes. There must be a little something to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Clapping hands used to make them land. I was taught this when I was young. Some how they did seem to land when you keep clapping for a sometime.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Swarms issuing from a hive usually land within sight of their hive while they send out scouts. I don't know how you would be able to tell if noise affects where they settle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tis true that they land close but gives me an excuse to yell at them for leaving me. DOEBOY

·
Registered
70 Posts
I learned Saturday at the ISBA meeting at Purdue that you can spray them with water to bring them down, if water is not available then you can throw sand up in the air at them. I guess it makes them think that it's starting to rain and the bees don't want to be flying in the rain.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't use water or syrup anymore for hiving swarms. I don't believe it helps at all. I do know bees hate being wet.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My wife said her dad caught them with a piece of pipe banged with a hammer, and she even saw a swarm land on his arm.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
And because sound can create harmonic vibrations in matter, does it matter "they can not hear"????? Sensing sound is not hearing?? Please explain???

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I think the concept is if bees are flying around that far away, they're not going to feel those tiny vibrations from tanging.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I ever see one flying around and get them to land while beating something I will let yall know. But be rest assured I will be making a lot of noise to get them back. Doeboy

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
In the 70's an old beekeeper told me ringing a bell or hitting a shovel to make a ring noise will bring a swarm down.
I'll have to try it because I just don't believe it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's from an old french law. The swarm belong to the first one that sees it. So to tell everyone that it's your swarm you beat something.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>And because sound can create harmonic vibrations in matter, does it matter "they can not hear"????? Sensing sound is not hearing?? Please explain???

The difference is same as that between a deaf person feeling the vibrations of the bass and the rhythm and a hearing person hearing the music. Sensing vibration is not the same as hearing. It may be the bees are responding to sensing vibration and mistaking it for thunder, or it may be that swarms settle with or without banging on pans.

·
Registered
83 Posts
>And because sound can create harmonic vibrations in matter, does it matter "they can not hear"????? Sensing sound is not hearing?? Please explain???

The difference is same as that between a deaf person feeling the vibrations of the bass and the rhythm and a hearing person hearing the music. Sensing vibration is not the same as hearing. It may be the bees are responding to sensing vibration and mistaking it for thunder, or it may be that swarms settle with or without banging on pans.
Well belive it or not it works. I have captured lots swarms that way I keep an old drive shaft from a car clost by and if you can get to them before they get to far up in the air they will come back down , car horn , ring bell etc. one went back in the hive, i'm standing there next to it. come back down land on stump at my feet. you nun belivers don't think it to death. try it my 2cents worth

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't use water or syrup anymore for hiving swarms. I don't believe it helps at all. I do know bees hate being wet.
I found that to be true. I was hiving a swarm out of one of those "flower pot" swarm traps today and a thunder shower came by and it rained hard for a few minutes. It cooled us off and felt good for a few minutes until the sun came out and then it felt like a sauna. But the bees weren't happy when I first started, and they were really unhappy when it rained! I'm just glad it didn't hail!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts