Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put some 5 frame nucs into their deep hive bodies and when I went to open them up today, I noticed that on 2 of them, they were drawing comb from the top of the frames to the bottom of the cover making it to where when you pull off the cover, the middle two frames with all the bees on them come up with the lid. I have been doing this for 5 years now, and this is a first for me. Is there a reason that they do this or is there something I can do? The hives smell great with honey and they have about 4 frames they are drawing out so I know space is not an issue. Any help here is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If there is a gap between the two it is quite normal for the bees to build comb there I am surprised this has never happened to you before.

When the bees are a bit more established they will gum the frames together more & you should be able to get the lid off without pulling frames.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Bee space...anything larger than 3/8" and they're gonna wanna build comb. between boxes they'll use that too as a ladder to go up and down between the boxes. I've read to keep that there instead of cleaning it up if its tween the brood boxes and supers of honey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts