Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this new recently, and it seems very well built and solid. I have a few questions and observations.

How do I adjust the chains for different frame thickness? It doesn't come with a manual or anything, just a very general one pager, and it's nearly impossible to get through to Maxant on the phone.

Any tips on how to operate in terms of speed of lowering and raising the handle? I've done four supers so far just to try it out, but it seems a bit erratic in terms of how much wax its taking off the frames, but that may be due to the way I'm using it. Do you lower and raise the arm slow and steady, or just a quick down and up? The arm doesn't lower and raise smoothly, it's kind of jerky so really tough to give the frame a steady pass through the chains. Maybe this is adjustable as well.

The spinner did a great job, it yielded around 40 lbs of honey from the cappings after spinning for four hours. Wondering what the best way to pull the wax out? Looks like I'd slide the uncapper back on the track, and remove a half screen which gives me access to the drum, but I also see an eye bolt in the center of the drum. Seems like I'd have to remove the uncapper for lifting the drum up, though, so not sure if that's just for yearly maintenance/lubrication?

There is a 2 1/4 inch drain pipe for the honey, but it's at an odd height in that you can't fit a 5 gallon pail under it, and I've got the unit mounted on heavy duty casters. Also the pipe is threaded, is that for hooking up to a pump? I'd like to be able to cap it off at least, but finding a 2 1/4 " threaded cap is a challenge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I had the uncapper many many years ago, if I remember right you loosen some bolts and slide the things holding the chains further apart, speed you could go pretty much as fast as you wanted, the one I had they put a user change on to keep the frames going down straight, I would assume it's standard now. I sold mine as it required a large settling tank, which i didn't have room for, to let the little wax particles settle out before draining the honey out.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
As wild branch said on the chain. Take off the cover for the chains. Then Loosen the bolt/nuts for the bearings. I set a frame in to where it wasn’t hitting the frame upper bar. But all most. I like to run 8 frames in a 10 box. It doesn’t manor going down how fast. But coming up i go a little lower. If i come up to fast it will spit honey wax at me. Just enough to get sticky. And need a shower when done. If you have any other ? Page me and I Will head you my phone #

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the chain uncapper. I had a problem and still do with the arm not not shutting off the machine. Maxant was very helpful and gave me a new slide for the arm but it still doesnt work but it is not a problem, In terms of adjusting the chain thickness there are 4 bolts on each side of the chains. You should have received a wrench with your machine. Best thing to do is call Maxant they are every helpful.I run the thinner 10 frame supers with one setting and the thicker 9 frame supers with another setting, or just set it for something in bewteen. Look closly at the frame next to the round covers over the chains and you will see 4 bolts on eachside. As you loosen them yehy can be moved. You will have to experiment a bit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have the chain uncapper. I had a problem and still do with the arm not not shutting off the machine. Maxant was very helpful and gave me a new slide for the arm but it still doesnt work but it is not a problem, In terms of adjusting the chain thickness there are 4 bolts on each side of the chains. You should have received a wrench with your machine. Best thing to do is call Maxant they are every helpful.I run the thinner 10 frame supers with one setting and the thicker 9 frame supers with another setting, or just set it for something in bewteen. Look closly at the frame next to the round covers over the chains and you will see 4 bolts on eachside. As you loosen them yehy can be moved. You will have to experiment a bit.
Planner, my uncapper has springs that help pull the handle back up all the way. They are located under the 'table' and can be adjusted to increase the pull to shut the machine off when the handle is all the way up. Just look under the machine and watch what it takes to hit the switch. \

As far as removing cappings, the bees will rebuild cappings that are cut off short. But set too wide and they will not remove caps that the bees didn't build out on some frames. I have some really fat frames that get more than half wax beat off it in the uncapper. :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks, Tim
I will check the springs today. I have seen them was hesitant to adjust.I will give it a try.
Planner, my uncapper has springs that help pull the handle back up all the way. They are located under the 'table' and can be adjusted to increase the pull to shut the machine off when the handle is all the way up. Just look under the machine and watch what it takes to hit the switch. \

As far as removing cappings, the bees will rebuild cappings that are cut off short. But set too wide and they will not remove caps that the bees didn't build out on some frames. I have some really fat frames that get more than half wax beat off it in the uncapper. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts