Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Maxant extractor 3100 with metal legs purchased from Maxant. the extractor seems to move quite bit during extraction. I built a platform with 3 wheels to offset the wiggling around and that helped somewhat but it still moves more than I like, I have to continually move the extracting bucket so it stay under the honey gate. My last idea is to build a square box and remove the metal legs and attach the extractor directly to the box and see if that works better. Has anyone else had the same issue and what did they do to stop the extractor from jumping around
Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
316 Posts
you aren't loading it right. try to balance the load. all 3 frames to the right or try to guess the weight of the frames as they go in and balance all 6 this way. balance the load and you will be good

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
They all do that. There is no way to really balance them, try as you might. The bigger the extractor, the harder it is to balance. Try setting it on a sheet of 3/4" plywood with room for the bucket. Use ratchet straps to tie it down to eyebolts through the plywood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ply wood and Eye bolt idea I tried a variation of that, I bolted the legs to a 3/4 sheet of ply wood and it still jumped around and I also take special care to balance the load out. Any other thoughts. I still think their is too much play in the legs

Thanks

Jay T

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the same extractor as you and had the same problem. This year I did as Ross suggested, I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood big enough to mount the extractor to and set the bucket on. I used 5/16" bolts up through the bottom of the plywood. I went to harbor freight tools and bought a pack of the Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat (http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-4-pc-61607.html). I use one piece of the padding underneath the plywood to protect the floor from the bolt heads. then I stacked weight plates centered underneath the extractor between the legs for more stability. This seems to work much better, remember to start slow and build up speed.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have a Maxant extractor 3100 with metal legs purchased from Maxant. the extractor seems to move quite bit during extraction. I built a platform with 3 wheels to offset the wiggling around and that helped somewhat but it still moves more than I like, I have to continually move the extracting bucket so it stay under the honey gate. My last idea is to build a square box and remove the metal legs and attach the extractor directly to the box and see if that works better. Has anyone else had the same issue and what did they do to stop the extractor from jumping around
Thanks
Jay T
I have this extractor. We put a towel under it and have trouble with it moving.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
If your extractor doesn't try to walk away, you are blessed and a rare individual. You can anchor them to the floor or they will try to travel. I do try to balance the load though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They all walked just like every said. I lag bolted mine to a pallet that has a plywood top. Put the bolts right into the 2x4 runners, this allows the bucket to stay with the extractor. The other thing to do is get rubber mat, I like the horse stall mats, they cut easy with a good utility knife. I cut 4x4 inch titles of it and put it between the extractor and the pallet. I also mounted them to the bottom of the pallet. This helps alot! A nice thing about using the pallet, 1, I can now move the 20 frame extractor around easy with a pallet jack, and 2, if it is really out of balance, I can stand on the pallet and that helps keep it in place. :applause:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Used 2x3 piece of 3/4 inch plywood, placed the extractor with stand off center and placed 3 casters with stems through from underneath the plywood. It required enlarging the hole is the base of the stand slightly to accommodate the stems. Used a file to enlarge the hole slightly. Placed flat washer, lock washer, and then nut to fasten. Bought the locking casters at Home Depot, had 3/8 inch stems. There is room for the bucket on the plywood. Easy to roll around. While extracting, I unlock the casters and it gently moves a few inches when I speed up the powered extractor. Needs a weight on the plywood, either at the back or under the extractor so the whole thing doesn't tip forward when the bucket gets almost full.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You can save yourself the work and pick up a furniture moving dolly at HD for $19.95 and just place the plywood platform attached to your extractor on top. The dolly will absorb all the shimmy and then you can easily lift the extractor off for moving or storing.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Mine is attached to a piece of plywood with room for the bucket and casters on the bottom. Two little blocks of 1/2" plywood keep the bucket from moving away from the legs. The casters keep it from getting too violent or walking around much.

One tip though - if you buy the leg kit put some 4x4 blocks under them to raise it up high enough to use a 6.5 gallon bucket (from a brewing supply) if you want to. I have found that with the small extractor it works pretty good to just use 2 bottling buckets and while a load is spinning I can either be uncapping or bottling out of the other bucket.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Was doing more extracting today, so I thought I would share a pic of how I stabilized mine.

That is two 35 lbs weight plates, and two 35 lbs dumbbells. you can see the pad I referred to above under the ply.

Works well for me.

IMG_20140714_212137_487.jpg

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I anchor my 20 framer to the floor when in use. When finished, I put a caster on each leg, wash it out, cover it and roll it back in the corner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Harbor Freight has a furniture mover on casters for $10 to $17 depending on the model. I think I'll buy one and add a piece of ply-wood 3/4 inch use carrier bolts through the bottom, and in the stand, and I'll have a really nice base for my extractor. Thanks for the info!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts