Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than tack this on to the current threads on splits and queen rearing, I ask this as a distinct topic: I have emergency queens that emerged a few days ago, and my hives have drones that have only been emerging for a week or so. I realize they won't be mating with my drones, but I wonder what are the chances for successful mating in spring when the workers are evicting all of the first batch of drones? Ever since they began emerging, there are live drones on the landing board, drones live and dead being carried out of the hive, and even more dead drones each morning. Raining, night temps in the high 30's, daytime temps in the 50's. At the last club meeting, a week ago, most of us that had drones are seeing them be evicted like they are going into winter. Given this, what are the chances for successful mating?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
There were drones so it's not too early. Not all hives make the same decision on tossing them out and the drones from that hive are irrelevant anyway, other than as an indicator of what is probably transpiring elsewhere...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
And mated drones will often follow a queen back to the hive and die there -- I knew when both of my supercedures were successful last year by the many drones in the grass in front of the hive, some with guts hanging out the back.

This is also a rough time of year for them, they will fly dozens of miles a day and I'm sure many of them wear out and die from the flying.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts