Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make some double NUCs and would like to feed them this summer with a divided masonite feeder. I have no idea what to seal them with though. Any ideas?

JoeMcc

·
Banned
39 Posts
adhesives, particularly floor adhesives release toxins long after they've dried. i'm no "expert" but i peronally wouldn't put anything near my hives thats known to be toxic to life. beeswax sounds right, but from where? our own hives, ok.

thomas

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I've used Camcote epoxy paint to seal mine. It's food grade. Several of the beekeeping supply outfits sell it. Once you've assembled the feeder, paint the interior surface. Use disposable brushes.....
Otherwise, paraffin or beeswax would be good choices.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello Michael Palmer et al, as you have experience with Masonite and I don't, I wonder if that material choice is not a bit suspect. For one thing, Masonite is quickly affected by moisture, for another, I also suspect that in the Masonite production there are some pretty nasty chemicals being used and I would not use it near our bees. I would stick to pine and interior plywood with good coatings such as bees wax or what I have used in the past, Fiberglass resin with a long aeration period. However, I am always open to learning something new, thanks. Take care and have fun

·
Registered
67 Posts
I built 8 in hive feeders using 3/8 ply for bottoms. I then coated the "tank" or syrup area with two part epoxy. Ace hardware carries the epoxy, and the two container package was enough to coat the entire tank area of all 8. . I used these feeders one season only. I found that for every inch of height in tank sides correlates to a gallon of syrup. So, a tank of two inch height would hold 2 gallons..etc...I saw a discolorization of inner tank surface, but never any leakage. They worked well, but I found that the bottom of feeders would get burr combed to top bars , and it was hard to get the bees and QUEEN off the bottom if I wanted to do inspections. I actually killed one of my queens in process. Also, tho I had screened off bees from getting into tank...they found a way anyway....with a piece of screen they could be easily removed....the drowned dead ones that is. I have gone back to jug feeders. So that is my 2 and a half cents worth...Good Luck All!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Michael....

I know people have been using hardboard feeders for a hundred years w/o any problems. Truth be known the plastic feeders are prob worse than the chemicals in the masonite/adhesive feeders.

JoeMcc

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok....

I know its best to use jars over nucs for feeding.... So, any advice to keeping the rain out w/o using another super above?

JoeMcc

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth, I was looking around for information on Masonite and it looks as if it's made with no adhesives at all, just wood fibers, pressure and temperature to bond it all together.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, obviously I now have more information on Masonite from you and other sources. It looks that one could use this for the fabrication of feeders such as a Miller feeder. However, this material still has the reputation of absorbing moisture. With moisture comes the possibility of fungal growth and one source claims that a fungal attack on Masonite cannot be removed. There are several threads here on what to do with the fungal growth in feeders. I have had it and with clear pine or plywood that is coated with a clear coating I can see it and do something about it, including throwing it away. In the past Masonite has been named in a class action suit for not performing as advertised. In any case I will not use it anywhere where the bees or the honey can get in contact with it. I do have it glued to my workbench and there it has done a super job. So much for my two cents and thanks for the education. Take care and have fun

1 - 20 of 21 Posts