Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Nuc with a Mason jar feeder. I've been feeding them a sugar water mixture (10lbs sugar per 1 gallon water). This has worked well for all my hives in the past. However, the first few days, each time I went to refill the feeder, there were tons of dead bees in there (nowhere else - just inside the feeder). I thought the mixture might be bad so I tried making a new batch - but the same thing is happening. Overall, the hive seems to be doing well, but this is bizarre. I've never seen this before. Can anyone offer any tips or advice on what to do? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you noticed if the feeder is leaking excess liquid? Perhaps you need a new lid on the jar? This is strange indeed!

·
Registered
177 Posts
You said it's a nuc. Is the feeder at the front of the hive? These feeders are notorious for causing robbing when they are placed at the entrance. If there's robbing, bees will get killed. If you have another empty hive body, put the feeder inside the colony, enclosed by the empty box. Just set the feeder and jar on top of the frames.

Another thought: if your colony is tilted too far forward, and you have the feeder at the entrance, any syrup that leaks will run to the back of the feeder and make a puddle. If a lot of bees are fighting over it, bees will either get killed or will drown.

Baggie feeders are drown-proof, and don't leak if you set them up correctly. It's more trouble to change the feed, but less robbing and no drowning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts