Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved some marked queens about two weeks ago. I introduced them ten days ago and came back for a final queen cell inspection today. When I got into second nuc and pulled the second frame a couple bees feel on the ground. I took a glance down and there was a marked queen in the grass that stuck out like a sore thumb. I dont think I would have caught it if it were not for the marking. I have to wonder how many queens I may have droped on the ground and never had a clue.

Any way, she crawled right up on my hand then off again. On the third attempt I got her onto the top bars and she crawled back in. I thought she was a goner. Thank goodness she was marked.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Ya, I know how that is. I have some queenless ones right now. They have been queenless since I transferred them from nuc boxes to 10 framers. If those queens were marked.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
manfre

I was really surprised to find that the queen had fallen off. I was actually even very careful with the frame. I had not ever flipped it over or anything yet. I am now building six frame nucs big enough for five frames and a frame feeder. I like it cause it seems that pulling a frame feeder is much less damaging to the bees than a frame. So anyway I pulled the feeder, moved the outside frame over, pulled this out, moved to next frame pulling it over, then pulled frame out carefully. I did not flip the frame, jerk it or anything. I was astounded to see that the queen fell off. Im sure it happens more often than we realize. I know it is quite common for bees to fall off for no real reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts