Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never made any cut comb honey, but I've got a bunch of frames available to do it with. I accidentally bought a bunch of solid bottom bar frames and even put most of them together before I realized what was up.

Just to be clear, when I say cut comb, I mean selling just comb, not chunk in a jar of extracted honey. (Frankly, I don't understand why anybody wants to fish out a chunk of cut comb from a honey jar.) As to true cut comb, I'm not sure what I can sell.

I've heard some beeks say they can't sell the stuff and other say they can't make enough to fill demand.

What has your experience been?

Can you sell what you make easily?

How does demand for cut comb compare to liquid honey?

How do you divide up your production mix, and why do you do what you do?

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
there is a high end restaurant that i sell honey to, they offered me $20/lb for comb honey. many of my other customers have expressed an interest in it, but i'm not sure many would pay that price.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I never get asked for cut comb. But I get asked for comb in the jar all the time.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I sell both comb in the jar and cut comb on a plate covered with Saran wrap.Both sell well for me,but neither as well as liquid honey.Put cut comb where the customers can see it but not touch it.The urge to poke must be irresistible.So is the urge to kill when they poke a pristine square of comb..

·
Registered
608 Posts
there is a high end restaurant that i sell honey to, they offered me $20/lb for comb honey. many of my other customers have expressed an interest in it, but i'm not sure many would pay that price.
I've never seen comb honey in a restaurant, or at least never noticed any. Might just be that I go to the wrong restaurants. Is there any style of restaurants in particular like comb honey?

I never get asked for cut comb. But I get asked for comb in the jar all the time.
As someone else stated today, I personally do not really see the appeal in this kind of product. I've read in a few places that it does sell, and it does look kind of neat in a way, but what kind of market do you target for comb in a jar?

You have to create your market
What kind of audience have you had good successes targeting for comb honey?

I've been thinking of making comb honey next year, looking for some ideas of how/where to sell it. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a handful of customers who ask for comb honey. So this year I plan on making two or three dozen containers of comb honey. As far as the way I do It. I'll put empty frames down between some drawn out frames with an excluder below. Last year I forgot to ad the excluder and the queen moved up into the supers.That's not good for comb honey. It's less work than liquid honey and It's worth more pound for pound, good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
MP is right, restaurants that sell fruit and cheese platters, especially farm to table types will buy from you if your offering is pretty. I also have quite a few customers that buy it in the plastic squares.

As for how I produce, I use 9 frames in a 10 frame box to allow them to draw it out nice and I usually do cut comb in the middle of the super or depending on the hive let them do the entire super.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I sell both comb in the jar and cut comb on a plate covered with Saran wrap.Both sell well for me,but neither as well as liquid honey.Put cut comb where the customers can see it but not touch it.The urge to poke must be irresistible.So is the urge to kill when they poke a pristine square of comb..
I needed a good laugh today and your post provided it. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have very strong markets for comb honey. Most popular are chunk honey (cut comb in a jar surrounded by liquid honey) and Ross Rounds. Least popular is cut comb, but we easily sell more than 100 supers a year. Our Ross Rounds this year went for $10 each (8 ounces), the cut comb for $9 (12 ounces) and the chunk for $10 for a jar weighing a pound and being about 6 ounces of cut comb and 10 ounces of liquid honey.
If you put it out for sale it will sell; and the next year you will sell 50% more, etc.
Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dominic

I sell them for $10 pint,and nobody blinks as eye. I try to average $8lb for liquid honey. I worry that I am asking to much,but so far no one has complained.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This: http://www.plasticboxes.com/subcategories.php?id=1 for that: "So is the urge to kill when they poke a pristine square of comb"

Just doing my part to keep honey buyers safe out there ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just doing my part to keep honey buyers safe out there ;)
Thanks for the link.I will be using plastic boxes this year.One thing that hasn't been mentioned.Stop the sale of chunk honey well before the fall season.Early honeys,at least those here,stay liquid for a very long time.Fall honey does not and a crystallized jar, with chunk honey
isn't very appealing.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I find ethnic communities tend to love comb honey. Especially middle eastern cultures like Greeks, Turks, Arabs etc. Older people who grew up in the depression tend to get nostalgic when they have comb honey. If you sell your odds and ends as samples, you can sell more comb honey. Most people have never tasted it. You can sell 1" squares for $0.25 or $0.50 and get people to try it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It must be something that is regional. I love comb honey, and if I can choose between a jar with comb in it and one without, I'm taking the one with the comb. I will probably cut squares this year for some family members that like it as well. But my wife hates the comb and doesn't get it. I think the only honey she had ever had before she met me was in the little plastic jelly containers at Denny's.

·
Registered
324 Posts
good way to sell raw unfiltered honey as it pretty well guarantees its the good stuff. Years ago had a Dr and a druggist buy from me in 1" squares. They both swore it was the best thing for cough and sore throat. Made a fortune for several years until they both retired. Sure beat grandmas iodine throat swabbing. 1st time I complained about my throat here she came with a swab. From that moment on I never complained again about a sore throat and always wanted the honey comb. Great to chew the wax and wash it down with Evan Williams. I am always so surprised now a days the numbers of people that have never eaten comb honey!!
Here in this part of Texas the Chinese Tallow tree comb honey is excellent and is never real thick and clear as clover honey.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts