Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about a month ago opened one of my hives and no brood eggs or any sign of a laying queen. Searched and searched no queen. Only thing in the brood chamber was nectar. Purchased a mated florescent green marked queen last week. Gave 2 frames of brood from another hive. Put her in hive last Wednesday. Did a quick look Sunday saw eggs but couldn’t see the queen. Went in today and saw a queen with no marking on her. What’s that all about?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had a laying queen going in to winter last year. There’s no way they could have made a new one between them and now is there?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have had queens lose their paint in about a week. Some paints dont have much sticking power. Isnt it still early to have a queen mated and laying in your area? It wouldnt happen here for another month at least and I am only a lake or two north of you!;)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>There’s no way they could have made a new one between them and now is there?

"You never can tell with bees"--Winnie the Pooh

Bees often succeed at things we think they can't. They also often fail at things we think they should be able to do...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had queens lose their paint in about a week. Some paints dont have much sticking power. Isnt it still early to have a queen mated and laying in your area? It wouldnt happen here for another month at least and I am only a lake or two north of you!;)
Yes thats whats so strange. Only thing that i can think of is the paint came off. And thats what i am going with so that way i didnt waste $40

·
Registered
839 Posts
Very true and happens often. Could be the same queen the OP placed in the hive and the workers "groomed" the paint off her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts