Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to buy some hair rollers that you see being used to place the newly marked queen in so that the paint can dry .
None were found at a local beauty supply, Rite Aid and Albertsons.
So I made one out of a 3/4" X 4" theaded PVC nipple. I drilled about 65 holes using a 1/8" drill in the pipe for ventilation.
I cought the queen, marked her with BiC water based correction fluid, blew a couple of breaths on the paint to help it dry, placed her in the ventilated tube, placed my thumb over the end, waited until she moved down to the other end of the tube, screwed the cap on, waited one minute, unscrewed the cap, placed the open end near a top bar, she walked down the tube to the top bar and over onto the side of the frame.
Comments:
Cost effective, materials are readily availabe and no shipping costs or waiting for delivery.
There might be some advantage to using the darkness of the ventilated pipe. However, she did try flying around in the pipe.
Ernie

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I just blow twice gently on the (Testers paint) dot. 15 to 20 seconds, and she's been dry for 10 (just being sure, hate to paint an eye closed with a smear ;)). Either by hand or with the plunger-cage doodad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts