Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just set up a marcellus shale drilling rig for natural gas about 1/4 mile away from property I keep my hives on. I've read alot of information on the internet stating that is a safe because they drill at least 1 mile below ground to reach the shale, but also read that wastewaster disposal has caused problems in different areas around the country.

From my understanding the worst case scenario is if they decide to store wastewater in holding ponds at the surface. I have been told they are going to truck out wastewater from this location.

Anybody have more infor or experience with hydraulic fracturing/marcellus shale drilling, the possible environmental and health impact on humans, livestock, and bees.

Might decide to move my family and my bees to a safer location if there turns out to be potential health risks.

I'm aware of some things that happened in Scranton and somewhere near Pittsburgh that have been attributed to this drilling.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Denon, I'm in the San Juan Basin which is a major natural gas field. We've been drilling coal beds here for years, and the problems are minimal now although there are impacts from roads, drilling locations, pipelines, compressors, etc. Overall it's safe I think. The frac can go wrong and allow the natural gas to infiltrate a fresh water zone, but it doesn't happen often here. When they first started drilling the coal seams they were using technology and techniques that were common to traditional oil and gas operations but have since improved dramatically and that has resulted in safer and more efficient wells.

Let us know if you folks need rigs, pipe, frac tanks, etc. We have plenty.:) In fact, you'll see New Mexico equipment out there if you look.

bhfury can tell you more as he's in that industry.

I'm not sure what the impact on the bees might be. We have what is called "produced water" that is the water that's produced along with the gas. I don't think that water would pose a problem for bees. It has to be contained here, and it's then reinjected into a well designed especially for that purpose. The wells will also have a pit while they're being drilled that will contain all of the fluids used in the process. There's some not so nice stuff in there that could harm bees during the time the well was being drilled. No idea whether Pennsylvania allows open pits or requires contained loop systems.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I am a whole lot more worried about how beekeepers are going to get their honey to market, if the U.S. doesn't start developing our natural gas fields.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't know about the use of frac sand for pushing natural gas out but I and my neighbors are fighting the start of a frac sand mine. That has many health risks to bees, people, wells, homes, plants etc. Silicosis!!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
"From where? It takes a lot of energy to get it from water, and even more to get it from the air."

Made hydrogen in 7th grade chem class. Electric charge through water from a 9-volt battery. Where do they get it for the space shuttle?? Solar or wind to make electricity. Electricity & water to make hydrogen. Very simple. Very cost effective. BMW Honda Mercedes all have hydrogen fuel cell cars on the road today. American automakers will be behind the curve again sad to say.

·
Registered
706 Posts
To answer your question, any drillin operartion will have whats called mud pits and waste and water pits the mud is drilling fluids that lub the bit keeping it cool and lifting the cutting up and out of the hole and at the same time keeping the hole open. and the gas and oil in the hole. the water mud and waste are all trucked out don't worry about your bees. Drilling is safe if done right.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would think your biggest concerns would be from gasses released in the drilling process killing the bees, or from water contamination killing the bees.

If you're on well-water, you should also be concerned about wellwater contamination.

·
Registered
574 Posts
"From where? It takes a lot of energy to get it from water, and even more to get it from the air."

Made hydrogen in 7th grade chem class. Electric charge through water from a 9-volt battery. Where do they get it for the space shuttle?? Solar or wind to make electricity. Electricity & water to make hydrogen. Very simple. Very cost effective. BMW Honda Mercedes all have hydrogen fuel cell cars on the road today. American automakers will be behind the curve again sad to say.
Mac, the funny thing is, commercially produced hydrogen isn't made from water, it's made from methane. It's simply too inefficient to get it from water.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Made hydrogen in 7th grade chem class. Electric charge through water from a 9-volt battery.

Exactly. So if you have enough 9 volt batteries, or other source of electricity you can make hydrogen.

> Where do they get it for the space shuttle??

Either by breaking down methane or by breaking down water, and it takes more energy to make it than you get back (there is always some waste in any transfer).

> Solar or wind to make electricity. Electricity & water to make hydrogen.

That's fine. But if I have electricity, I don't need hydrogen...

>Very simple. Very cost effective. BMW Honda Mercedes all have hydrogen fuel cell cars on the road today.

Sure, but they could just as easily run on batteries and electricity.

The point is you don't get something for nothing. Energy comes from somewhere. You can trade one for of energy for another (with some waste along the way) but you can't get it for nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the "frac"-ing being done here in Arkansas has really ruined some folks water wells. Even some of the folks who are getting royalties from the gas wells are griping.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
the "frac"-ing being done here in Arkansas has really ruined some folks water wells. Even some of the folks who are getting royalties from the gas wells are griping.
I would keep the royalties, buy a 5 stage filtration system (sediment, carbon block, GAC, DI, RO) and the groundwater will be just fine to drink.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
"The point is you don't get something for nothing. Energy comes from somewhere. You can trade one for of energy for another (with some waste along the way) but you can't get it for nothing."

Granted, the point I failed to make is ya don’t necessarily have to drill baby drill to get energy with all of it’s negative ramifications when there are viable alternatives.

I don’t think I implied you could get it for nothing.

With all the landfills and sewage plants that abound in this country, I suggest there might be an ample supply of methane to at least offset some of the energy now being used ether to produce hydrogen from it or to use to offset the use of natural gas now being drilled for. I agree. Electricity is the way to go but ya don’t have to drill for it or drill for the means to produce it. Storage is still the achille's heal of the whole electric car debate, but it is getting better. Tesla Motors has a high-end electric car in production here in the U.S. that gets 225 or 250 miles to a charge. Much better then the electric cars G.M. produced a few years back. Are we now off topic??? Sorry.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
We could certainly and in my opinion we should, tap the methane from the dumps and from swine and cattle operations that have a lot of manure, but that would not make enough methane to run this country. But we waste an enormous amount of resources including energy. As long as people have to pay someone to haul off trees, we do not have an energy shortage.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
"But we waste an enormous amount of resources including energy. As long as people have to pay someone to haul off trees, we do not have an energy shortage."

Ain't that the truth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts