Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a fair number of varroa on the tray beneath the screen bottom board on one of my 3 hives. I would like to think it is because these bees are somewhat hygienic, But decided to apply some MAQ's single strip to 2 hives and a double strip to the larger hive with a 2 deep brood chamber. (one strip on each). I will do either a sugar roll or alcohol wash in a month.

Today I took a look at the hives and noticed that the bees from the larger hive are hauling out about a dozen dead new or nearly hatched bees. They seem to be on the small side. Prior to the treatment there were nearly zero dead bees. I have a 16 ft. wide black ground cloth in front of the hives so it is easy to see any sick or dead bees. I am using this to kill the weeds and plan on planting some dutch clover in the area as low ground cover.

My guess is that these small dead bees might be companions to varroa brood and being weakened might have succumbed to the formic acid?

I have not used MAQ's before but wanted to see how it works. I did follow instructions and added a deep to 2 of them and a shallow to the smaller hive. Entrances are open and there is some shims under the lid to add a little extra ventilation.

Rolled the dice a little because the temperatures are supposed to reach the upper 80's in another 2 days. I read somewhere that as long as the temps are in range in the first 3 days then temps under 90 should be O.K. for the week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What you are seeing is fairly typical with MAQs...the brood immediately below the location of the strips can be injured/killed by the initial concentration of the formic acid....sometimes adult bees that come directly into contact with the pads during application will be killed as well....it sounds like you have done your research and have everything setup the way it is supposed to be and I think your strategy of a half dose on the smaller hives/full does on the larger is good. Typically the bulk of the acid volatilizes out in the first 3-4 days of the 7 day treatment cycle. You may see some bearding on the outside of the larger hive as the temps increase (and you probably saw that right away after application I suspect).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, As long as the majority of the vermin varroa are killed off I will be happy. I am still developing a strategy for varroa treatments. Starting with a couple of packages isn't necessarily a full view of the problem as I didn't start with overwintered bees per say. I will be doing mite checks on a schedule going into next year. So far the bees I have managed haven't died. But 2 years isn't much of a record. I handed the BK off to some friends who lost 7 hives last year. My task is to figure it out and teach them how. I will have bees for the foreseeable future regardless. Prior to this I have only used OAV treatments, and not on a particular schedule. I usually just did a single treatment in the fall. I now know that this is not good enough in general.

Yeah, the bees were rushing the top of the hives, so I had to be fast putting the lids on. Not much bearding so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts