Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people that are using single deep brood chambers and treating with MAQS, do you add a super for added space during the treatment period?

After pulling honey, those single deeps are quite full of bees. I know the MAQS directions suggest the addition of a super, but I’m curious how many folks haul supers back to the yards and put them back on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i treat with MAQS in the spring when i put my first honey supers on. so the short answer to your question is yes. MAQS when above 80* highs is rough on the colony.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I treat in the spring prior to adding a super, and haven't had any issues. For this treatment I target when the hive is getting close to needing a super (e.g. I know it is healthy and the queen is good), but otherwise simply follow the manufacture's instructions. No losses to report to date - but I'm also doing it at a time where the temperature is in the lower-half of the suggested temperature range.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On a single deep do you use a single or double strip. I run single deeps and plan on using MAQs after the fall harvest. I plan on using a empty honey super at that time. I use SBB but will close about 50%.

·
Registered
590 Posts
single deep, single strip, medium honey super. entrance at half of full width. solid bottoms.
edit: i will then come back 7-14 days later to remove strips, confirm viable queen remains, and add more supers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I will probably go with one strip as my hives have done poorly this year and I dont want to stress them any further. If necessry I willtest and use agian.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts