Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cold can it get before they freeze and wilt?
Will 3 days of temps below freezing do it, or are they more resistant to cold than that?
I have a low of 27F tonight ( the lowest in this cold snap). I fed pollen yesterday in case it does knock them down.

RKR

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'm thinking that large trees such as maples, with blossoms, are very hardy as they bloom every year so early when the temps are real cold, especially at night. We've been getting below freezing most every night and the pollen is still rolling in during the day when the temps get into the 50's.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Ya, freezing doesnt help the blossoms any. Thats the problem with these early blooming trees, you can get them, and you can miss them. Take what we can get, thats all we can do. As soon as mother nature springs that blossom, the flower is on a time clock it seems. Every once and a while it seems that the bloom is merely delayed during the cold spell, but usually you can count down the day til the nectar stops flowing,

you know what I find frustrating is waiting for that nice accute willow tree to bloom, and just as it springs its flowers a heavey snow fall blankets the country side preventing any foraging for atleast a week. by the time the bees find the tree afterwards , they have missed it! ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: All the blossoms and buds seemed to make it just fine. Pollen is coming in today at a good rate.

I am a lifetime trapper, hunter, and fisherman and I have never been so connected to the world around me, as I have been since I started keeping bees.
Funny when such a small thing makes your day better. :)

Thanks,
RKR

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update: All the blossoms and buds seemed to make it just fine. Pollen is coming in today at a good rate.

I am a lifetime trapper, hunter, and fisherman and I have never been so connected to the world around me, as I have been since I started keeping bees.
Funny when such a small thing makes your day better. :)

Thanks,
RKR
That sums it up for me as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts