Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about this item, but could you use this maple syrup filtering tank for honey to bottle honey?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would not use the felt filter for making syrup for your honey. I made syrup last year for the first time, so I know just enough to be dangerous! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can the filter be removed and just have the tank empty

·
Registered
770 Posts
The filter should remove easily for cleaning. I went to Bascom maple and looked at the cone filter tank, the cone filter come right out. For a $100.00 you may be getting just the tank,

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see that the outlet is 1/2 inch. Is this a little narrow for honey?
Thank you to all who have responded...Adrian, I am not familiar with this at all...last year I used a plastic extractor that you use with a drill to extract and came with the bottling bucket. I am not sure of the outlet size; a 1/2" does sound small.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The filter should remove easily for cleaning. I went to Bascom maple and looked at the cone filter tank, the cone filter come right out. For a $100.00 you may be getting just the tank,
Hi Birdman, did you notice how big the gate was? Thanks...Deb

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it is a round tank and looks like a regular honey bottling tank….I will try and post the picture.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In another life, I used to make one cone filter tanks for Leader. :)

The picture you posted is the new version. The style I made was nicer...clam shell handles and a conical cover. I made three of them a day. Made totally with scrap stainless...left over from manufacturer of the evaporator pans. Old hand operated machinery to roll the bottom seam. Side seams all joined on a horn...think tap, tap, tap...solder, solder.

I loved the work but they didn't pay well. $5/hr. Took $1 for taxes and it cost $2/hr for day care...my kids were young. Took home $2/hr.They told a doctor/sugarmaker I know that I was the bets. Asked for a raise. They offered $.10/hr. I quit. :)

If the honey is hot enough it will go through the hat, but I'd use nylon if I could find it.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Michael, I don't heat the honey at all, I am hoping to bottle it all; and is the "hat" the gate? and I do use a nylon filter; do you mean replace the felt filter with nylon? I have lots of questions, very happy with the knowledge on this site and I value your opinion…and I did order queens from Ferguson Apiaries in Canada. Can't wait to get them!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would pick up one of the brass or stainless steel bottling valves. With a reducer so that it fits. Love mine. Though I added water jacket around mine. With a hot water heater element and thermostat. It helps that I have a friend that does stainless steel welding and has a fab shop it cost me about $200 (fitting and so on) in total and a case of cheap beer.
David

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Sorry, we used to call the felt filters "hats". The tanks I made had 4 copper hooks from which the felt bag hung. Inside the felt went a paper filter. This paper filter caught most of the nitre…minerals from the sap boiling process, so the felt lasted longer. Not sure what the new one looks like, but you should be able to hang something. Make a filter bag with nylon strainer cloth…available at JoAnn Fabrics but not called strainer cloth of course…and attach 4 cloth loops to hang from the hooks.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the info Adrian, Birdman, SmokePole and Michael....good ideas and a big help
Deb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts