Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hives in Georgia, are not taking any 1:1 sugar water right so they must be happy with what they are finding on the +50 degree days. It going to hit 60 on Saturday and I have to check on a hive that's gotten nasty since some punk-kid kicked them over. I expect that the queen got killed when I up righted the boxes about three weeks ago and I'll double check on the new frames I place in it after the kickover. Anyway the rest of you guys in Georgia and Alabama have a good nectar flow going on?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm near Montgomery AL and all I've seen is henbit and dandilions with the wild plum trees just starting to bloom. However, it shouldn't be too long now as the cold weather is hopefully in our past around here. But, then again, you can never predict when another artic vortex might want to stretch its boundaries again. I hope the freezes are over as my peach and plum trees and blueberry plants are getting ready to blossom and temps below 28 degrees can do some real damage.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Just now seeing the beginning of maple. On the road, at the end of my driveway.....heard 'em before I saw them. On the other hand....if you get a 70 degree day, they'll probably take that syrup too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm seeing my bees on maples and winter honeysuckle. Seeing dandelion and henbit blooming. I seem to recall from years past they dont work henbit until later. Always can tell when they come back with the orange dot on the forehead. Any way Spring is sprung. Time to finish up painting boxes and making frames.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm seeing a light khaki/tan color pollen coming in here in East Tn…last weekend anyway...anybody know what plant that could be?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine are bringing back loads of pollen and some nectar. I guess it's maple, I really don't know. It's very light...tastes good too.

They're still taking syrup though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine have been bringing in pollen for about a month. wild plums, henbit, dandelion and maples are blooming. i went through a few brood chambers last weekend and they all had solid frames of pollen and a lot of capped brood. no drones and very little drone brood. it's supposed to be 75 tomorrow, the ten day forecast has lows in the upper 30's and lower 40's. i'm going to give the hives that are getting crowded some room and hope to make up my nucs in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The first maples in my area were spotted on March 19th in Hampton, VA. Other local areas are slow to start. I saw a blooming fruit tree and henbit on 2/22. Meanwhile it dropped to 22 degrees.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Don't all beekeepers have one?
Yeah....mine's in the shop...parts on order from another galaxy. Should be fixed in a couple of light years.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Maples producing here, but with most days only having a few hours of fit weather - or none - I'm putting on another round of sub candy for good measure. If they don't need it, no harm done and it will keep - if they do, it can save hives from starving.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting several diff-source (color) of pollen here.Not sure what,I'm hoping to get out today,
Checked the hives up in Calhoun GA today and one of the stronger hives had new wax under the ate out sugar on top of the frames. So it's March and I put a medium super with three frames of blownout wax and the remaining seven were just foundation. I will have to do a complete frame by frame check on this hive next week, it's in a single deep and I now have new drones this week, can we say queen cells this early? We will see...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts