Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been checking my hive about every two weeks and just peeking in the window. They seem to be doing pretty good. Much activity today since the temp is about 38 degrees.

My question is... Is it normal to have the entire floor of hive covered in dead bees? It seems like they aren't cleaning their hive?! I took the entrance guard off a few weeks ago because I thought they were struggling, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Today, I took my hive tool and removed as much as I could without disturbing them.. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help or suggestions! I'm all new to this!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Is this a top bar hive with a window? Regardless, pretty normal to have a handful of dead bees on the bottom board at this time of year. With the cold weather we have had here in Michigan, the bees won't be doing much housekeeping, the dead just pile up until they get some nicer days to clear them out better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has definitely been very cold. I just thought I would be able to at least see the bottom, but I can't whatsoever. I do have a top bar. I wish they would cluster more so that I can tell if they have capped honey or not... :/

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a hard time seeing my bottom board from my window, not because of dead bees, it's just a bad angle. Anyway, my bees do all of their housekeeping on warm days. I don't see anything being removed from the hive when it's cold. Even when they are busy in the hive, they stay inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts