Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchasing my usual ProSweet for fall and UltraBee winter patties. Also buying a baggie feeder shim to add height to one of my quilt boxes. Inventory and pantry is solid. Stacks of comb and emergency honey frames waiting in the wings in my bee closet. Anything interesting to you? Want to keep my number to 7 or 9. Have an extra painted resource hive in the wings. Highly recommended. I have the Dadant one.

First task when I start inspecting is assessing health, stores and moving my queen down to the lowest medium. Then getting ready for the boom. PS- wouldn't be without the Paul Kelly bee belt purchased last year from Dancing Bee.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Prices are still too high for me at the moment. This will be a consolidation year for me, rather than an expansion year.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prices are still too high for me at the moment. This will be a consolidation year for me, rather than an expansion year.
Totally get that. Really glad I got most of my inventory when I started. Noticed their prices went way up last year when they consolidated with Kelley, then went up again this year. I'm super happy with my 7 as far as time and $$. How many hives are you at now? I want to say 10ish.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Totally get that. Really glad I got most of my inventory when I started. Noticed their prices went way up last year when they consolidated with Kelley, then went up again this year. I'm super happy with my 7 as far as time and $$. How many hives are you at now? I want to say 10ish.
I am at 21 colonies, of which 17 are full size (7 @ 10D+10D, 10 @ 10D+10M+10M), two are 5D+5D nucs, and two are 4D+4D in a double nuc configuration.

I have on hand 10 empty deeps, with which I will standardize my full size hives to double-deeps, my preferred configuration. This change will liberate 20 mediums for honey supers, which added to the supers already on-hand should carry me through the honey harvest in July.

For reserve, I have an empty double 4 frame nuc plus a couple of other 5 frame nucs, one empty top-bar hive, plus equipment from any deadouts. In a pinch, after harvest I could rotate some of the honey supers back into service as brood chambers, but really prefer the double deep as my standard configuration.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i end up every year spending a couple grand with mann lake for my hobby apiary. This week on their sale i ordered:
500frames and foundation
2 of the large boxes of formic pro and 2 of the 50 packs of apivar
50lbs ultrabee dry sub
80lbs of ultra bee pollen patties
few other bits and bobs i cant remember at the moment lol

All stuff i would buy this season anyways so may as well get the 9% discount and order it all at once

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
make sure and check your expiration dates on your apivar when you get it.

Reactions: aran

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
make sure and check your expiration dates on your apivar when you get it.
i still have an unopened pack i got last fall so ill have to check that one too
-> that one will be going on the nucs in the next few days. Im hoping to get those strips on next week while its warm

·
Registered
412 Posts
Seems with Mann lake the prices go up about 10% each year. So March madness is only getting you last year's prices. They used to be inexpensive, now they are just cheap. I have found buying wooden ware more economical in the past, but each year it gets closer to flipping. And of course lumber is up now too so that accounts for some of the increase. Looks like we bought all we need last fall so I think I'll sit this one out....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was all excited about the price of ultra bee until I read it was in store only. I will still be ordering a couple of 50lb. bags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts