Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the last bee meeting I was at, the state apiarist said that they have been having a lot of success with overwinter bees using winter patties. So I got on Mann Lake's website and ordered what I thought was 10lbs worth of individual patties. What I got was one huge syrupy block of what seemed to be a sugar slab of sorts. I am assuming since it was warm out when it came in the mail that the temp made the block runny but now my question is how do I use this thing? :scratch:I am guessing I apply it the same one people apply a fondant when the season finally gets here?
I would probably also advise mann lake not to call this a patty.
Has anyone else used this product?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Why don't you call Mann Lake and ask. There are likely several on the list wondering about the answer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got "patties" this way two years ago, but not from Mann Lake I don't think. A big gooey glob wrapped in saran wrap.
There are little pieces of paper in between so I was able to dissect what must have originally been patties from the blob, tore off pieces from that, and put them on the top bars. I stored the blob in the refrigerator and the texture did not get significantly easier to handle so i don' think it was an overheating problem. Like you, I was expecting something resembling a patty, but I guess the bees don't care about what it looks like (and that's a description that would get censored on this forum) and they ate it up anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I didn't get mine from Mann Lake, I forgot, my bad, because it came in wax paper, I just put two of them in-between the supers and smash them down, till the box was flush, much of the patty went between the frames, this spring when I opened the supers, the only thing left was some of the wax paper, the girls even took some of the paper out, I didn't loose any hives this past winter, also had honey stores, much of it was gone too!
I was surprised on how much they ate last winter. The Temperatures were below 0 over all the winter, off and on, for about 3 weeks, warmed up a little then back cold again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I emailed Mann lake and here was the out come.

Message Body:
Order number: 163527
Placed: 07/14/2014 18:51:06 EDT
I received my order in the mail and opened the box labeled Pro Winter Patties. To my surprise the box was one solid chunk of what seemed to be sugar and a few other components. Due to the heat it was a bit drippy so I threw it in the
Freezer to stop it from melting. Upon inspection yesterday, I noticed that the plural use of Patties in the web description was wrong as this is just one block of product not individual patties. My question is, was I shipped the wrong thing and if not how do I use this product, as the application I think is different then what I planned for. Also how did I receive this if your web site will not let me order it before September now.
Thanks
John

Their reply

Hi John,

We are reworking the formula. I’m going to credit you for that box.

You can still feed these to your bees, if you want.

Ed Waggoner l Mann Lake Ltd. l www.mannlakeltd.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I will probbably split it in to sections and use it... Nice that they fixed the issue!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just received a 40 lb. case of the new formula winter patty from Mann Lake. They have paper on both sides and are good and firm.....have the same feel and dimensions of their brood patty. Until needed, I put in freezer for bug control.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used these last year.
Was separated with wax paper and the consistency I got was good.
The bees took them well. I gave a full patty at a time, unlike pollen patties which I portion control due to the risk of hive beetles. These winter patties dont have much protein in them like pollen patties do, so the bees dont have to defecate.
Thats good on them to credit you the box.
Personally, I'd go ahead and give it to them. I would try to use it up before the replacement box gets there, but thats your call.
Just a thought, you could turn it into a liquid feed by adding it to hot water.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am considering trying these patties this Winter on a limited scale. I realize this is a bit of a dated post but does anyone have any new or recent feedback they would care to post on how these patties performed and how the bees liked them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have several out yards and try to keep supplies with me at all times. Never fails when you are 15 miles from home, you need something and...crap...its at home. I kept them in the toolbox of my truck all winter and when I ran onto a problem, I just shimmed and tossed a couple in. For me, they are just handier to haul around all winter than bags of sugar and the bees done very well on them. No complaints here...gonna use them again this winter.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have several out yards and try to keep supplies with me at all times. Never fails when you are 15 miles from home, you need something and...crap...its at home. I kept them in the toolbox of my truck all winter and when I ran onto a problem, I just shimmed and tossed a couple in. For me, they are just handier to haul around all winter than bags of sugar and the bees done very well on them. No complaints here...gonna use them again this winter.
Many thanks! I appreciate the feed back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am considering trying these patties this Winter on a limited scale. I realize this is a bit of a dated post but does anyone have any new or recent feedback they would care to post on how these patties performed and how the bees liked them? Thanks in advance.
We sell the Pro-winter patties like mad right now. Many of our commercial customers aren't using them because they are here in Cali and still using Ultra Bee or Bee Pro for continued brood production, but up north and in the colder mid-west, people are already putting them in hives.

Since they contain a small amount of protein, they are a great option over plain sugar or fondant without stimulating early brood production. Many old school beekeepers are still doing the mountain camp method or making their own candy blocks, but winter patties are making great headway as the newer generation beekeepers transition to them. They freeze well so, even if you don't use them all this season, you can wrap and freeze them for next winter. Keep in mind that, since they are mostly a sugar blend, they are a bit stickier than our other patties.

PS- Yes I do work for Mann Lake.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought some and used them. I think WHEN you buy them determines if they are more a sticky mess. Hotter weather during shipping makes them more gooey. Mine were hard to pry apart but usable. Once pried apart, they were easy to give to the hives. I wanted to try these as a winter "insurance feed" instead of Mountain Camp style winter feeding. Bees do like them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts