Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason you couldn't go ahead and put all nine in? Granted, there is no extra room, but with eight frames in it there is so much room on the sides it seems like you are just urging the bees to make a mess there. With nine, the two end frames are virtually touching the box sides. Is that too tight?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Try and get them out when they are full of bees...then you will understand why we run 9 frames in a ten frame hive and why I guess there is extra space in the Mann Lake 8 framers. The way to keep the comb tight is to press the frames together towards the center and leave your space on the ends. The bees may build a bit of burr comb there but it is easily cut out and removing frames will be sooo much easier with no chance of rolling your queen or the bees for that matter.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I've ran 9 frames and 10 frames in a 10 frame box. I prefer the 10 because with 9 frames you get that wide drone brood on the bottom of the frames and the wide honey on the top. When you pull the first frame the drone brood breaks open the honey on top.

As for the 8 frame box-Use 8 frames. By the end of the season you won't notice the extra space.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Typically eight frame hives were used with a follower on each end. It's a dummy board. A flat piece of wood the shape of a frame except thin. You put one or two of them in on the outside edges (one on each side just one on one side) and they take up space. It makes it easier to get that first frame out as the follower usually has 3/8" on each side of it which just makes space. It also makes more cluster space.

I'm not saying which to do. Just stating the options. I run nine frames and put up with them being hard to get out. It also keeps them from shifting around in the box when I haul a hive from one place to another.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone, for the input. I have a couple of weeks before I'll put this hive to use so I'll continue to think about it for a bit. Probably leaning toward eight frames with follower(s) because I always feel guilty when I squish bees and I sure don't want to make it any harder to avoid that.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We use all 8 frame boxes and just space the 8 frames apart a little, except in the brood boxes where we push them all to the middle. No burr comb. No big deal. They're a lot easier to remove than a 10 frame box with 10 frames.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts