Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have not yet gotten around to making Lauri's sugar bricks which i have made and used in previous winters with good success.
Been flat out with work and kids stuff and so this year i ordered a 50lbs pail of the bulk winter patties from Mannlake which i had planned on using until i got off my butt and made sugar bricks. Well then the lazy Aran piped in and said heck if these are ok to use may be i dont need to make sugar bricks at all. They are not prohibitively expensive for me even if i have to buy another couple buckets full of them.

What are people's experience with these patties? Are they ok as supplemental feed or should i just get off my butt and make the sugar bricks as i have in the past?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I fed my bees 11 fifty lb. buckets of the Mann Lake Winter Pro bulk patty mix last Winter. They are a lot more expensive than making sugar patty mix but my bees loved the Mann Lake stuff. Very easy to use. Best to ensure you know where inside the hive the bee cluster is located and place the patty mix in contact with the cluster. I used Immery Shims between brood boxes to allow space for the patty mix and minimize squashing bees. Worked very well. The patty mix has about 4% pollen substitute which is perfect for nutritional and protein needs as well as helps to hold the patty mix together.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fed my bees 11 fifty lb. buckets of the Mann Lake Winter Pro bulk patty mix last Winter. They are a lot more expensive than making sugar patty mix but my bees loved the Mann Lake stuff. Very easy to use. Best to ensure you know where inside the hive the bee cluster is located and place the patty mix in contact with the cluster. I used Immery Shims between brood boxes to allow space for the patty mix and minimize squashing bees. Worked very well. The patty mix has about 4% pollen substitute which is perfect for nutritional and protein needs as well as helps to hold the patty mix together.
cool thanks mate.
Im off for a vacation shortly so i will put some in the hives in the feeding shim under the quilt box so they def have food while im away. I left every hive heavy with at least one if not 2 supers of honey in addition to their double brood boxes so they should be ok but i see the supplemental feeding as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
I left every hive heavy with at least one if not 2 supers of honey in addition to their double brood boxes.
Goodness, I can't see why they would need any additional feeding.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sure sounds like you should have enough feed. Super expensive and messy insurance compared to sugar bricks. J

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goodness, I can't see why they would need any additional feeding.
Yeah im sure youre right. I didnt need to pull any honey this year because i extracted 300 or so lbs from deadouts from last winter.
I made a ton of splits and caught swarms this year and left them all heavy with honey. I do have about dozen 4/4/4 nucs which i may give some extra feed to.

The bees should have more than enough honey to get them through.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure sounds like you should have enough feed. Super expensive and messy insurance compared to sugar bricks. J
wasnt overly expensive although yeah definitiely more than sugar bricks. The sugar bricks worked great last few years too. Just my wife hates the smell of the vinegar that lingers in the house when im making them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts