Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who supplies Mann-Lake with their packages? Do they make their packages in house? I picked up a package from their Pennsylvania location, and I've been VERY impressed with it so far. Seems to be a mix of Italians and Carnis (or very dark Italians), and all are extremely gentle. I've seen good numbers flying from daybreak to after sunset, with no sign of hive beetles yet. I'm hoping these traits survive as the queen hits her upcoming brood cycles. Would be interested to know if their supplier also sells queens throughout the year, should the need arise.

Thanks,
-C-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll also mention that the package was on the very fat side of 3lbs. I counted exactly 14 dead bees at bottom, and the syrup can was about 3/4 full. So it's clear they've made an effort to sell fresh bees (or maybe I just got lucky). I would definitely buy from them again if their stock is always like this.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think it was Oliverez. I do know for certain somewhere in California though. I have three packages from them and they are looking good so far. I noted three different types of hives with mine. First one was the most fiesty. Prompted me to tape my ankles. Second hive was a small amount unhappy. Third hive buzzed a bunch but didnt do much other than that. I also was thinking these were some fat packages.

Sunday morning two were flying. I gave a tap on the side of the non flyers ( the fiestiest hive) and they came out and looked to see who was knocking. A bit later they were flying. Guess they needed a wakeup call.

Right now, hard to call them, but so far so good.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Our club picked up 40 packages from the PA location on April 19. I installed my single package the following day into a top bar hive. Nice group of bees and boy was the queen a big one! I haven't been back in to see if she has been released or not, but the workers were definitely out flying Sun and Monday. I gave them a couple bars of drawn comb to get the queen laying quickly. My understanding from the bee club was that the supplier was out in California.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Picked up 6 packages on the 18th in Wilkes Barre, PA. Oliverez from (California) was the name on the inspection report. They arrived a day early and appeared very heavy and healthy as mentioned earlier, with very few dead bees.

Wayne

·
Registered
724 Posts
I picked up two packages at Mann Lake in Wilkes-Barre on 4/19 and after installing them there was less than a tablespoon of dead bees in each. That's tough to beat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
General Manager at Mann Lake, Wilkes-Barre, PA said packages came from California. I have spoken with many that were very pleased with them. They also had very few dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts