Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like every other bee keeper I know, I am kind of frugal..ok cheap. Has anyone here used mann lakes budget grade hive bodies. I need around 40 of them, and the difference between the commercial grade and budget grade is 100 dollars. I will use the budget if I can get some years out of them, but will not if they fall apart in a few years. Anyone here ever go with the budget and been happy?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Don't quote me, but I think Lauri ordered something like 500 of these this year. If you search her posts you'll see that she's happy with the budget quality.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Have used them for a number of years primarily for honey supers. Don't let them lay around and warp; assemble them right away. Glue the finger joints judiciously, (tite-bond III) then prime them then one final coat of paint. They will last you many years. If you have any that just won't fit together and are milled wrong, let Mann Lake know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm with risky buzz. I bought 50 budget medium supers on sale a few years ago, and they've held up fine. As risky suggested I use a good primer and good topcoat. I did order more last summer and had 2 ends that split at the rabbet. I called ML, and they sent 2 replacements immediately. Best deal going unless you have a cheap supply and cut your own.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I bought ten deeps and found them a good value.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thats all i use is mann Lake budgets I cant see where the more expensive ones would be any better. once you put good primer and paint on them they would all look the same. Ive gotten a few that had some knots in the finger joints that split out a little sometimes, but it dont hurt a thing. I can buy the budgets from mann lake already pre cut cheaper than i can buy the lumber to build them myself. Ive gottes some at times that would be a little warped, but I will nail one end then use clamps to square it all up and finish nailing it up will straighten them right out. I started out gluing all the joints, but I dont even do that any more. Ive got some that are over 4 years old and I cant tell them from the new ones.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Budget is all I buy, and they've held up very well. The bees certainly can't tell the difference!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thats all i use is mann Lake budgets I cant see where the more expensive ones would be any better. once you put good primer and paint on them they would all look the same. Ive gotten a few that had some knots in the finger joints that split out a little sometimes, but it dont hurt a thing. I can buy the budgets from mann lake already pre cut cheaper than i can buy the lumber to build them myself. Ive gottes some at times that would be a little warped, but I will nail one end then use clamps to square it all up and finish nailing it up will straighten them right out. I started out gluing all the joints, but I dont even do that any more. Ive got some that are over 4 years old and I cant tell them from the new ones.
Similar results - I don't glue anymore either, just use narrow crown staples. My boxes are up to 8 years old from Mann Lake, all are budgets - supers and hive bodies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts