Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LatelyI have been purcasing items fromMannLake and I have been pleased with delivery time. Product qaulity is adeqaute. I recently purchased bucket covers that fit 3-5 gallon buckets. It is near impossible to remove them. The instructions state to cut at the holes on the side. I finally used a jig saw. I far prefer the cover I have purchased from Dadant with a notch that I cut and then pull the tab all the way around the cover. They fit better and remove with ease. I ewil be tossing the Man Lake covers.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Lowe's sells the covers you describe to fit their food grade buckets, available at a good price in the paint aisle. They do not fit my Brushy Mountain buckets so there may be an issue between different manufacturers. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also had an issue with the ability of the covers to actually seal the buckets. I processed about 5 -6 buckets and allof the frames with the exception of one or two were sealed and tested about 17.2-17.7% moisture. The following day when I opened them they were 18.2%-18.6% due to what I beleive is due to the mosture in the area where I procees. I put about 15 gallons in a Maxant heated bottling tank and if past experience is any guide the moisture content will drop about 0.5% to 0.8% in a couple of days. I wipe the moisture from the under cover of the lid a couple of times a day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are a couple of tools available to remove bucket lids, depending on the type of lid and manufacturer. I've got lots of buckets and most came from Mann Lake and made by Paragon, but haven't purchased any in recent years. They may have a different supplier now. Below is the tool I use to remove lids...no need to cut anything. Cutting them may impair their ability to seal properly. Also, bucket and lid should come from same manufacturer to ensure proper seal.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/heavy-duty-pail-opener

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Not all bucket lids are exactly interchangeable. Mann Lake nor Dadant make the buckets they sell, all are bought from different manufacturers, and even though they might be the same size(2 gallon, 5 gallon, etx) doesnt mean the lids will be an exact fit for the other brands. I reuse buckets a lot for all types of storage and if you need a good sealing fit i always verify the brand of the bucket and lid match first.

Aaron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts