Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Stuart Volby, who was promoted to CEO of Mann Lake in connection with the buyout, said,
Mann Lake Ltd. (“Mann Lake”) has completed a management buyout
The way this is worded, It implies that Mann lake was bought out also??

·
Registered
148 Posts
The release seems to say that Mann Lake inherited Kelly's relationship with Miller Mfg (the maker of Little Giant hives and components, sold through Tractor Supply in my area) for their distribution network. If so, maybe that will mean Mann Lake woodenware will be available through or stocked by Tractor Supply?

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I think the current bee mania is ending. It looks like all the suppliers are feeling the pinch. It is a shame to see Kelley go as they produced and sold a lot of one off items that I doubt the big box bee store bean counters will keep in production. Change is inevitable as we see the abyss full of cheap made crap from china being the only choice.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Once the companies grow and lose the family identy values, then the bean counters become the important actors. Buying out the competition and amalgamating has many benefits. It simply makes cents!

I wonder how significant the hobbyist portion of the market really is. Is it indeed on the downslope?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Kelley's has been a pain to do business with for a while. Back in the day they were great. Now I'm excited that I might have a fairly local supply that I can count on.
That's what I've always heard. I have placed a few orders recently though and the prices and delivery time were amazing. I was looking forward to ordering more from them.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Maybe with all of this money being thrown around, Mann Lake will actually build a professional website with adequate product descriptions and actual specs, and integrate its call-in order system with its online order system and Bee-Bucks discount system. There is a local high school program that produces much better websites than ML's.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wondering if Kelley’s woodenware will change to Mann Lake dimensions etc? There is a difference in sizes of components between the two companies...or will Mann Lake woodenware be consistent throughout? Will the Kelley woodenware plant go away or?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
"value through operational improvements and strategic growth initiatives" =

Eliminate jobs and the competition, then raise prices.

The Irving small town method.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Perhaps Mann Lake will improve their shipping costs.
It was pretty easy to meet the free shipping $ quota. I'm a beginner so I needed everything though. I just found out that a bee club member is a distributor for Mann Lake. He's about 40 minutes away. So now I have that option.
ks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts