Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first 8 frame hive from Mann Lake and noticed that there is an awful lot of room in the deep after all 8 frames are in. I can actually fit 9 frames in there. Is this a big deal or should I just push all the frames into the center and not worry about it? There is quite a bit of room on each side when all the frames are centered in the middle of the box.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I have two small apiaries. One apiary is made up of Mann Lakes boxes and the other with Dadant boxes. I took one mann lake box to the Dadant apiary and when I set it on the Dadant hive box it was about one-quarter inch larger in both directions. This is with eight frame boxes. I had an experienced beekeeper look at my apiaries this week and he wasn't concerned about the extra space. In fact, he did just what you did by moving all the frames to the center. Like you, my Mann Lakes hive box will accept nine frames. I'm too inexperienced to make a knowledgeable comment. Mann Lakes are larger than Dadant boxes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have some of the same hives. I just center them up and leave the extra space on the outside. I may shave some frames down to have 9 frames in there with a little wiggle room. If there is not enough room by shoving 9 in there now, it could make it extremely difficult to take the frames out for inspection. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have never noticed a difference between hive bodies that was significant enough to worry about, I have Dandant, Mamm lake, Glory bee, and all sorts of others there never seems to be that much difference. They all leave a space on the outside Of the box, Personally I do not like my frames bunched tightly together, I actually like the frames to have a space about the thickness of a matchbook cover, well for those who don't remember match books(LOL) a business card will work. I have made frame spacing tools that instantly maintain my preferred spacing. remember the space between each frame has a bit of a recess, and the outer wall does not. if the frames are placed to closely to the outer wall the bees will not draw them out.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
To fit frames in the same way as 10 frame boxes, 8 frame boxes would need to be somewhat narrower, and they are already fairly narrow in relation to their length. Too skinny and the stack becomes more likely to topple, a very bad thing.

I've been making some boxes for a friend, and Mann Lakes are 14" rather than the 13.75" that some of the other sellers make, and much wider than the 13.5" that is the dimension one would expect by subtracting the width of two frames from the width of a standard 10 frame box (16.15").

The bees will be fine. I do, however, recommend that you keep the frames pushed firmly together. Bees get rather creative with extra space, and our experiment with spacing brood frames out wasn't pretty, and took a long time to fix.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.