Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deep 4 frame nuc about 6 weeks ago and started my very first hive. The 4 deep frames were installed into a medium box with a 3" spacer, along with 4 medium frames. After 4 weeks the bees had filled the 4 mediums with comb, with 2 partially brooded. I installed another box, moved 2 of the medium frames with comb only into it and put 2 empty frames on the outside of the bottom box. Tomorrow I intend to go into the hive to inspect and move frames.

I want to get the bees moved off of the deep frames as soon as I can and remove them and the 3" spacer. What is the best way to do this? I thought by putting frames with new comb in the top box the queen might be induced to move up but have not yet looked to see. Should I begin moving the deep frames out from the center of the box, placing medium frames with comb in the center of the bottom box? When I have eventually moved all of the deep frames to the outside of the box can I remove them entirely, or will they be full of brood or honey? If they still have brood I will leave them in the box, but how will I ever be able to remove them? If they are full of honey I suppose I can remove them and try to reintroduce the honey into the hive in medium frames, but the deeps have foundation, so I don't think I can just cut them out of the frames.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Fill the extra room in the deep with solid spacers and add mediums above. When the queen has gone to work in the mediums, put a queen excluder between the boxes. Remove the deeps when any remaining brood has hatched out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What cg3 said. I want to use only medium 8's, so I brought home two nucs of deeps in deep boxes, threw 3 foundationless medium frames in them, and a week and a half later had enough to move some brood frames up into a medium box on top of the deep. Moved the queens up as well, and excluded the deeps. In 3 weeks they should be brood-free, and I will be medium only.

I didn't make the move as fast as I wanted due to time and weather, and two of the medium frames in the deep box had drawn comb on the bottoms, but I simply cut it off and will use it elsewhere. Those little ladies draw FAST in the spring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts