Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started beekeeping last year with a 4 frame nuc. They drew out two deeps worth of frames but did not produce any honey for me last year. They came out of a very long cold winter here in Canada with a 5 pin bowling ball size cluster.
Currently they have 3 frames in the top with 1/4 frame brood coverage. The rest are mostly empty with some honey and new pollen. The bottom has. 8 frames of honey almost. About half is uncapped.
My question is, what kind of manipulation should I do? If any..
My first inclination is ,to leave it as is and let the bees work down through it. Second thought. Put a medium super in the middle in attempts to make them create a larger brood nest. I really don't think reversing the deep boxes would be helpful.
There is so much info out there, what do you folks think?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I started beekeeping last year with a 4 frame nuc. They drew out two deeps worth of frames but did not produce any honey for me last year. They came out of a very long cold winter here in Canada with a 5 pin bowling ball size cluster.
Currently they have 3 frames in the top with 1/4 frame brood coverage. The rest are mostly empty with some honey and new pollen. The bottom has. 8 frames of honey almost. About half is uncapped.
My question is, what kind of manipulation should I do? If any..
My first inclination is ,to leave it as is and let the bees work down through it. Second thought. Put a medium super in the middle in attempts to make them create a larger brood nest. I really don't think reversing the deep boxes would be helpful.
There is so much info out there, what do you folks think?
I am a newer guy, but from my hives this year, two did not need to be reversed, two benefited from it (or at least that is what they told me). Two had clean bottom boards, two needed to be cleared. i.e. I would go off what the hive needs, not just a process.

in your case I would probably move the honey to the top and the rest of the boxes stay in the say order. The honey is probably uncaped because they are trying to relocate it up and restore the brood nest on the bottom. just my guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts