Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in for my second hive inspection today. Lots of eggs, plenty of larvae, many cells of pollen/sugar water.
Strange things though -
Several capped cells - light tan wax on dark comb (slight outward bulge on caps). The queen had been out for at most, 11 days. I didn't think that was long enough to have brood capped.

Last inspection I removed two burr combs that were built in the space beside the queen cage. The plastic frame next to the one fully drawn frame has a strange "pocket" comb covering half of it. The comb was drawn at the edge of the frame, and the bees are literally walking on the inside of the wax, up against the plastic foundation. The other side of this frame (and most of the other frames) are drawn correctly.

For now, I'm leaving this comb as it is - the package is really weak, and there are pollen/eggs/nectar cells in it. If I cut out the bad comb (down the line), what are the odds they'll draw it out right the second time?

Robbers have slacked off. Still present, but fewer.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
>I didn't think that was long enough to have brood capped.

Eight days to capping.

>The comb was drawn at the edge of the frame, and the bees are literally walking on the inside of the wax, up against the plastic foundation.

Whenever I would see free formed comb I scraped it off and let them try, try again. Sometimes they will do fine, others will never get it right.

You will see that when the frames are not pushed tight together or they don't like the size of foundation cell imprints.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always had this problem with plastic frames, whether the frames are pushed together or not. I trashed all of my plastic frames this spring and switched to wooden frames with wax foundation. Haven't had these problems with wax.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts