Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few articles about overwintered nucs making the best beehives come spring. I'm hoping to do some this fall and would like to avoid the learning curve by hearing from others who have already done them in the fall. I just had the privilege of helping a new-beek pickup and install her bees. My focus in beekeeping has always been to educate the general public, but now I want to start producing local top bar nucs for the individuals that decide to keep bees. (It was a less than stellar experience with the beekeeper where she got her bees from. I got mine from him last year, but he doesn't like TBH's and doesn't make good nucs for them)

So, what is the general timeframe for making the fall nucs? Sept 1? And what would you consider the minimum amount of bars needed to overwinter in a mild climate like the eastern part of VA or NC? My bees last year were flying quite a bit during the winter and barely consumed the 6 bars of syrup that they capped during the fall feeding. We have some fields of cotton in the area in the fall, as well as other ornamentals like camellias and mahonia for pollen.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
August is still really really hot for us. What time table would you suggest? I've got a nuc that has finally grown into a full hive with 11 drawn bars. I suppose I could just do a cut down split to 2 nucs on it to see what happens. I can always recombine in Oct if things don't look good.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
July and August is when I made up Ow nucs in upstate New York.

You need to make them up by mid August in order to get enough bees and to get comb drawn.

Even then, you'll have to feed right up to G-rod flow.

AS to stores, I made sure a 4 frame deep weighed 40 lbs going into winter.

They do indeed take off and grow in the spring...

good luck

·
Registered
850 Posts
August is still really really hot for us. What time table would you suggest? I've got a nuc that has finally grown into a full hive with 11 drawn bars. I suppose I could just do a cut down split to 2 nucs on it to see what happens. I can always recombine in Oct if things don't look good.
Can't speak for tbh configertations but have made OW nucs in Virginia for a few years now with great success. You want 3 cycles of bees so the bees in the nuc are strong and of that Queen. Consider 21 * 3= 9 weeks minimum. And consider all before Oct. 15th or thereabouts. Want to make up nucs in a nectar dearth of August? Not me. And much harder to introduce queens, and mating? Not the bet time for that either. Early to mid July is when I have made mine for years and most with mated queens or capped queen cells. Take out a frame of brood if you have to.
And for sure, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A&feature=youtu.be

a few more listed here
http://pwrbeekeepers.com/videos/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts