Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Could someone please explain how to make sugar bricks ?
I'd suggest making some small test batches. That's what worked best for me. A couple from the first batch still haven't hardened after almost two weeks. Now I've found a way to crank them out in 12 hours.

There's enough variation in results that there obviously isn't a "one size fit's all" recipe.

·
Registered
2 (10 frame) langstroth hives (first year)
10 Posts
large batches look for Lauri's recipe. If you want to make a small batch 4lb bag, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, mix well place in 170 oven for about 30 min with the door cracked. Shut off wait till morning to pull from the oven.
I tried this recipe except I baked for an hour and didn't leave the oven door open. Worked perfect. I used disposable 1/2 size steam table pans (9x13 inches). I reused the same pans with no issue. I loaded each pan with about 4lb of sugar and scored them into thirds or quarters. First batch was 8lb and the second 12lb batch is in the oven overnight. Edit: I realize this is a super old topic but thought it may be useful to someone.
Hand Comfort Cloud Textile Rectangle

·
Registered
130 Posts
Could someone please explain how to make sugar bricks ?
My ad-hoc approach is 12 cups of sugar, about 1/3 cup water. Mix it together, put in a pan, pack it down,and let sit until hard (a few days).

If you don't want to wait, put pan in oven (I use a kiln I picked up for cheap) at about 180 F to 195 F for 8 hours.

This gives you a giant sugar cube. If you use more water, you will get some solid melted together sugar on the bottom.

You can add some lemongrass oil if you want.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nothing fancy: A bowl of sugar. Very slowly add water and stir until a handful of sugar pressed together holds it shape. About like wet sand. Do this slowly — the difference between sugar that presses together and sugar that turns to syrup is a few tablespoons of water. Pack it onto parchment on a shallow baking pan, score, and dry it out. You can speed drying in a 200° F oven (95°C) for a couple of hours. When it comes out of the oven it will be soft but it will set into hard bricks as it cools. Score it with a butter knife before it cools so you can break it into bricks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts