Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched some old Mel Disselkoen OTS videos and he talks about "making starts"
I'm not familiar with the terminology and wonder, what exactly is a "Start"?
My sense is that it is akin to a split, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any info you can share.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
This chart might help you. https://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/OTS.pdf There are 8 starts on the chart, as each receives a frame(s) with notched cells that is a start. One queen each for the four nucs from the busted up cell builder that become the powerhouse (these four queens get eliminated), and the queens for the four late summer starts from the busted up original queen hive (who is also eliminated). Note that there are 10 queens involved in the method. I don't think the first and the last are counted in starts. Going into winter there is five colonies, four are starts from the busted OQ, the other is the powerhouse which has a new queen.

BTW, you don't have to use Mel's method, you can use a traditional cell starter and the cell notching method for traditional queen rearing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
what exactly is a "Start"?
A start is the start of a new hive, it can be whatever size you want. Pretty much the same as a split. Different areas use different terminology but all the same thing basically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts