Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northwest Wisconsin. Our honey flow is still going strong here. My question is whether or not it is too late in the year to make splits without a mated queen?

·
Registered
613 Posts
From split to laying queen is about 30 days. Then 21 days before the first workers from the new queen. That puts your colony deep into September before any winter bees are being raised. I suspect in WI that is on the edge, or over the edge.

Now if you have several additional colonies which can supply resources (several frames of bees/brood over that time period) without weakening the donors too much, you can swing things into their favor.

If you have the resources, and can accept the potential loss, give it a try. No time like the present to learn!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Without a mated queen, might be dicey, but if there is someone you know with local queens, a queened split is usually okay most of the time.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I live in Northwest Wisconsin. Our honey flow is still going strong here. My question is whether or not it is too late in the year to make splits without a mated queen?
I would not do a conventional queen-less split right now (if you mean this split to be a stand-alone hive for the winter).
Technically, I made a queen-right split a week ago - but for different purposes and it is not meant to winter as-is (but it could if needed).

Now, you provided no details and so no good answer is really possible.
What is your goal?
How many resources do you have to expand?
All of these matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts