Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to share that while making up two queenless nucs today and going thru my boomer hive that they have almost filled a super already...middle of April and a super of honey....unheard of around here!! I am very happy with these bees, even though by the end of the nuc making I actually had to don my gloves (a word to the new ones, even if you decide not to wear gloves always keep a pair around). I also want to say how much I love my Ultrabreeze!!:D:D

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/NasalSponge/New Bees/

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
And where did you get those bees, Big Mike? Congratulations on their production! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It’s been a very unusual spring in my area as well. We have been having above normal temperatures along with normal rainfall. On 4/7 I did my first detailed inspections of my hives. All had drones and drone comb, won’t normally see drones until early May. Populations were at early June levels. This is a very good thing with early crop blooms in apples, cherries and blueberries very strong bee populations will bring in a lot of honey. :) With that we are going to see an early swarm season. Last year just the opposite swarms in late August and early September. Unheard of here, this year is starting out opposite. I also had the lowest winter mortality in the nine years of beekeeping only two out of twenty four. I attribute this to a mild winter and better Queen stock.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the first year in a long time we have had an actual spring here, it usually goes from freezing to the 80's in a week. Very nice weather. I bought this hive as a nuc last year. Funny thing is they are showing no signs of interest in swarming unlike my other strong hive which I removed several swarm cells from and checker boarded, so I think you are right, early swarm season this year.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts