I would *guess* that acceptance should be better. Still. the advice I'm receiving for requeening Italian colonies should probably apply - have them be queenless for 24 hours, install queen cage with cork in place. After 3 days remove cork but do not put a hole in the candy.
I've replied here primarily because you were not getting responses. If someone who has made up Russian headed nucs with other stock should care to reply with a different plan I'd welcome it.
Thanks for the replies. I made up the nucs on Thursday and 24 hours later put the queen cages in. The nucs were on the small side, 1 or 2 frames of brood and one of honey/pollen. I used 1/4" plywood to split a deep into two 5frame nucs. I guess I'll see what happens in a time.
I requeened my Cordovan split with a Russian and they rejected her. Followed Dwight Porter's instructions to the letter. 24 hours queenless, 4 days with the cap on, 2 days with the candy, and it looked like all was well. I found her released & walking around. One week later, no queen, just a bunch of started queen cells on the bottom of the frame I had found her on (swarm position).
Don't know if they killed her or she took off, but she's not there. Finally tore down the hive this past Thursday (July 1), and no sign of her or any more brood.
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!