Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Russian queens are rejected more often than other stock when requeening a colony.

What about making nucs with Russian queens? Anthing special need to be done to ensure successs?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I would *guess* that acceptance should be better. Still. the advice I'm receiving for requeening Italian colonies should probably apply - have them be queenless for 24 hours, install queen cage with cork in place. After 3 days remove cork but do not put a hole in the candy.

I've replied here primarily because you were not getting responses. If someone who has made up Russian headed nucs with other stock should care to reply with a different plan I'd welcome it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your response is accurate. In addition you need to locate and destroy any queen cells during the process. The hype about the difficulty requeening with Russians is way overblown.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I made up the nucs on Thursday and 24 hours later put the queen cages in. The nucs were on the small side, 1 or 2 frames of brood and one of honey/pollen. I used 1/4" plywood to split a deep into two 5frame nucs. I guess I'll see what happens in a time.

The hype about the difficulty requeening with Russians is way overblown.
I hope it is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I requeened my Cordovan split with a Russian and they rejected her. Followed Dwight Porter's instructions to the letter. 24 hours queenless, 4 days with the cap on, 2 days with the candy, and it looked like all was well. I found her released & walking around. One week later, no queen, just a bunch of started queen cells on the bottom of the frame I had found her on (swarm position).

Don't know if they killed her or she took off, but she's not there. Finally tore down the hive this past Thursday (July 1), and no sign of her or any more brood.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far there have been no problems at all.

Today is day 4 after the queen cages went in. I had a chance to check them this morning and all 6 have been released by the bees and are laying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts