Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do y'all keep the nuc queenless before introducing a queen cell?
How do you keep the cells warm from the supplier to the nuc? How long can you keep them before putting in nucs.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How long do y'all keep the nuc queenless before introducing a queen cell?
How do you keep the cells warm from the supplier to the nuc? How long can you keep them before putting in nucs.
Kingfisher
Over night.
In an ice cooler w/ a hot water bottle and a towel.
Not real long, so use them quickly. Otherwise they will emerge and kill each other. Unless you are using cell protectors.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What temp should they be at? What about using a incubator?
If I am using 3 frame nuc boxes, how many frames of brood should I put in?
Yall all said overnight......does that mean make splits in afternoon and put cells in next morning? Should the bees be screened in this whole time? I am using cell protectors.
Kingfisher

·
Banned
578 Posts
Overheating is worse than being a little cool.

95 degress is the top and damage can happen quickly as the temperature rises above that (As I recall).

92 degrees is a popular holding temperature because it allows a margin of error, and many incubators are not very accurate.

Cooler temps will retard development, but risk of damage increases as the temperature drops and time increases. Nontheless many put cells into nucs in positions which seem OK during the day (between top bars) and the cells are on the edge of the cluster at night, yet the queens usually emerge.

A remote reading $10 Radio Shack memory thermometer is invaluable.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I make up my nucs one day..put in cell the next (12 hrs) unless you are using a cell protector, I have made up nucs then put in cells when I had too using a protector. I keep my cells in a egg incubator at 92 deg. Too hot and your get fried queens. Anything above 88 is ok, anything under low 90's will slow down queens....delaying hatching by as much as 12 hrs up to a day. I have kept cells in a incubator for 3 days. I keep a thermostat in window so I can watch temp..mine will change a little if outside temp changes. I think Fred Rossman(rossman apiaries) has a incubator they sell with a presettemp control...It may be better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, while we're on the topic, how do you folks install the cells? I see a post above just sets them between the top bars on the frames.

I always though it would be something fancier then that but I'm OK with simple. :p

K

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I see a post above just sets them between the top bars on the frames.
We make our splits say on Monday, they sit overnight, pick up cells the next morning (4 hours round trip) return and place cells in the hives, they hatch the next day. In regards to the cells we place them in cell protectors and hang them between frames off the top bars right in the middle of the brood chamber. Its that simple and 95% sucess rate.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If I am using 3 frame nuc boxes, how many frames of brood should I put in?
I would use 1 frame 2/3 covered with brood of all stages, 2 frames honey and pollen but not lots of capped honey(mostly open cells honey). I would also make sure there is enough bees to keep the frame of brood covered in the lowest temp you would be expecting for the time frame it takes for the brood to hatch. Depending on the flow you have going when you do this if the 3 frame nuc is overpopulated it can become honeybound fast.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I didn't see you when I drove by today. I couldn't see much because of the rain.
Must have been mid-morning. It was pouring for a while then stopped. Rest of the day, it was just cool and overcast. Let me know next time you're near and maybe plan a stop for gas and a coffee.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We make our splits say on Monday, they sit overnight, pick up cells the next morning (4 hours round trip) return and place cells in the hives, they hatch the next day. In regards to the cells we place them in cell protectors and hang them between frames off the top bars right in the middle of the brood chamber. Its that simple and 95% sucess rate.
Thanks. I'm not sure I can even get cells in my neck of the woods but I was curious none the less.

K

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would this work-
Make splits early-mid morning
Put on truck
Go get queen cells
Put cells in late afternoon at different yard

As far as what to put in the nucs would this work (1 brood and 2 food?)

Kingfisher

1 - 15 of 15 Posts