Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All

I made several nuc's with queens that I bought and some by letting them make their own queens. They are all off to a good start. My only concern is that they will out grow their 5 frame boxes before settling in for winter. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I'm attending a workshop on this topic tomorrow - but, that said - I believe the technique is to remove frames of brood/bees as needed to keep the nuc sized "right."

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can add another nuc box above, 5 over 5, or put them into a regular super with a follower board (solid wooden frame) and have any number of frames in the single story super. I've brought 6, 7 and 8 frame nucs through the winter like this.

Pete0
Bena, VA

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Like politics, all beekeeping is local so best to get advice from experienced local beeks about how they (successfully) do it. My past reading has been that here in the north, keep the broodnest and cluster small by removing frames as the nuc outgrows its 4 or 5 frames, as Andrew said.

Andrew, I think I'll be seeing you tomorrow at the workshop.

Wayne

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I don't know the timing for NM, but I would think they would swarm being made up so early in the season. Not only will they swarm, but in your hot climate they will abscond leaving no cell, or maybe a cup with an egg or day old larva.

You can do as others have said or...
You might want to build them into singles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Building Nuc's should be easy. ( easy to make not easy to maintain?) Everyone has them. But here is what I'm worrying about. Justified?

!. They are in full sun, Is it like being in a car with the windows rolled up? Too hot?
2. Robbing , One Nuc got cleaned out of all their stores. Try to seal the Nuc better and only make concern #1 worse.
3. I gave them all fully drawn comb with capped brood. What if they out grow it. I don't want to make full size hives.
4. No foragers to bring in water. Will the capped brood and larva dry out? Very dry here in NM.
5. How does the Nuc balance its space requirements? Feed and they will not have space for brood. Don't feed have too much brood and not enough stores.

Again this is my first time making Nuc's and I'm hoping to winter them well.

Do beekeeper build nuc to winter or only in spring to sell?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts