Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Zone 8b
580 Posts
I tried making boxes, Very difficult to make good boxes.

An assembly jig is important, so you get square boxes that sit flat with no gaps.

I stick to making the stuff I can't buy reasonably, like bottom boards (I use slatted racks) and R10 Insulated lids.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bees,

I started making my own equipment a few years ago. It started because I wanted to use palmer style nucs, which are pretty expensive to buy. Then ended up branching out and making pretty much all of my equipment. I scrounge up all the 3/4 inch plywood I can find. Find pallets that I can cut to migratory size. Even have a wax dipping tank and started dipping all of my equipment.
But for me it seems like the boxes are the easiest thing to build, and probably the most enjoyable for me. I have a Leigh jig for the box joints, and a router table for the frame rest, a jig that goes on a table saw with a dado blade for the handles. Then I just square them with a speed square. Probably not worth it to build a lot of this stuff when I take into account the time. Just something I like to do in the winter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had to rip out a deck and have a lot of used cedar.

Square it up, put it together with a Kreg jig, and it is wide enough for deeps.
Need to make some size adjustments for the extra thickness, but it makes a nice box.
Built a cheap and small wax dipper, so dip one board at a time.

Better insulated than a pine box, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
jtgoral has posted pics of his hive bodies made with the butt and pass with vertical corner peg joint. Narrower boards can be used in this construction style. If boards are reasonably dry when assembled, any cracks between boards are quickly propolized by bees. This construction has also been often shown by GregB's links to east european hives. A very forgiving construction that can be done with basic hand tools if necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts