Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all we used Michael Palmers sub this last year. We add some lemongrass to encourage quicker uptake on the sub. It worked great either way. My wife made a video of how to make the sub for a local club. It is 1.5 minutes long and has the Palmer recipe broke down to 5.25lbs of patty. Directions and all that are there as well.

https://youtu.be/BxBdt3llNdk

We have fed over 1000 lbs of it and will feed 3-4 times that this year. In small quantities it can be made for about 70-80 cents a pound. In big quantities much less.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I copied this from the video link...

This recipe makes approximately 5.25 lbs of pollen patties.
Ingredients:
2.6 lbs sugar
1 pound of HOT (boiling) water
1/4 cup of oil (vegetable, corn, canola, etc)
1.6 lb UltraBee pollen substitute
Add sugar and HOT water to mixing bowl, add oil, then as it mixes
slowly add the pollen substitute. Mix well and store in an airtight
container.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Kamon
Nice mixer, nice video, short and sweet and to the point. You almost made it look easy enough for me to change my lazy butt ways.
Good job. I bet your deeps are about to be getting to where they are busting at the seams. Hope you have a great year.
Cheers
gww
Ps Hi ray

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting that Ray!

I wish I could take credit for the video but that was all Laurel. It is easy to feed and we had our first swarm cells 3 weeks earlier than we have had before. Best of luck on your bee year also!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
This is for Mike Palmer's Pollen patty mix, not that he has his own pollen substitute recipe.

from reading the title of the thread i thought he had his own pollen sub alternative.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello Fellows,

Thank you for this, I am working on this too, because it seems nobody has patties till the end of the month. I made some last year, but didn't have the right recipe, this should now work fine. I started feeding through the top inspection hole with syrup and had patties from last year that I cut in 1" strips and then 1.5" long. I normally put three in the hole and some clear this out in a day, others need longer. I have jars with syrup on since January like this.

Feeding 2019-1.jpg

Thus are 12"x12" insulators (except for one smaller one) that have a hole inside large enough to hold the jar with a plastic lid with three small holes.

Joerg K.

Edit: P.s.: I freeze the patties then they are easier to handle and don't spoil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks i must have missed that i even had YouTube open. How do these thaw out after freez do they hold up ok? How long does the mega or ultra be last in dry form? Should it be kept frozen or at room temp. I bought a 50lb bag of mega bee in December.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do well after thawing. I throw whole buckets of it in the freezer if I have to. Michael Palmer can probably just leave his outside :D
As far as dry form that is a good question. Some people say years, others think something different. I don't really know. I have used it up to a year old and didn't notice anything odd

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Nope, but cheaper than buying patties.
Mike
Oh i understand that, i can source the sugar and water way cheaper than buying premade stuff.

Making my own pollen sub is a whole different matter. I use a lot of Ultrabee, it's pretty good and getting it by the 1500lb bulk sacks is very convenient for me.

Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts