Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some frames which must be 60 years old. They look like they where made by hand, very simple tools. The wood used is Silky oak ( Grevillea robusta).

I would like to make some Full Size frames and wonder if there are any instrudtions around, tools best suited, jigs?

I'm not trying to safe money, I'm trying to leave some frames behind another beek will enjoy and marvel over in 60 years time.
I'm living in Australia and have access to some great timber, thanks!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you post a picture of an old frame?

Difficult - they are in the hives and it is raining ( and we love it!)
Next time I take some some out I will post a picture. The Silky Oak frames look pretty well the same as a pine one...until you look closer. The grain of the timber is magnificant. Also holds nails well.
A lot of boxes and frames are made from Hoop Pine ( Araucaria spp) here in Queensland and it is a great timber. Most of it now comes from plantations and is a little to wide-grained for my liking and can split.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
So Michael what do you like to use when you are building them from sctach. 2x ? or what

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I usually don't build them from scratch. It's too much work. I usually cut down existing ones after I assemble the frames. It gives me a nice hand hold for cutting them. But I would use a two by twelve, cut the block to what I want (grooves for bottom and top etc.) and then cut the slabs off to make the end bars. You don't have to have the fancy taper on them. Straight up and down works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts