Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - I tried to make fondant this morning and realized the digital thermometer was off by 15 degrees. Question - the sugar water started to boil like crazy - I assume that is normal. As it cooled, after hitting 242 (though I now know it probably didn't reach 242 because of the thermometer failure) we had lots of crystals floating on top - is that normal? I read that if you stir the syrup you should avoid crystals - I stirred like crazy. I poured the mixture through a sieve into a cookie sheet. But now I think I should throw it away and start anew with a reliable thermometer. So much for the $20 digital real time thermometers from Bed, Bath and Beyond!

Questions - does the syrup come to a roaring boil? How do you avoid crystals? I was told not to add cream of tartar as it gives the bees dysentary.

What does the syrup look like when it is cooling?

Our two hives are going strong and I don't want to feed them anything that will hurt that...

Thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think the key is to boil enough of the water out. You should see many smaller bubbles reducing to less bigger bubbles. You can us lemon juice or vinegar to replace cream of tartar. It should look like fudge after you have finished working (kneading) and letting it set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts