Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fondant-making has been problematic. Last year I gave up heating at 236F from my notes, and this year I see why: I hit a stop at 236. I heated for an additional half-hour at least with no temp change over gas heat and constantly stirring. It also remains granular, not sure it that's normal. Water boils at my house at 201.9 so I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it?

The fondant last year came out more crumbly that I liked, so I was hoping to hit 240F this year but gave up at the 236 wall. Any ideas? Does anyone else have trouble with those last few degrees?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll probable just use it, but does anyone know why it wouldn't liquefy? I didn't use any glucose, but I thought that was just to keep the crystal size small once cooling: shouldn't affect liquification right?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Last year I gave up heating at 136F from my notes, and this year I see why: I hit a stop at 136. I heated for an additional half-hour at least with no temp change over gas heat and constantly stirring. It also remains granular, not sure it that's normal. Water boils at my house at 101.9 so I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm missing something I think. Water should boil about 203 F in Denver (I was in Laramie at 7,200 and it boiled at about 197 F or so) and you can't get fondant hotter than 136 F? Do you mean Centigrade? Water would boil at 95 C in Denver and with sugar in it, the temp would go up as the water content goes down. At 136 C you would be at 276.8 F which would be "Soft Crack stage" (95% sugar). Hard crack would be 149 C. I'm not sure what the adjustments for altitude are. Did you mean Celsius?

I could never get beans done in Larmie without a pressure cooker...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up: I think I used too little water at startup. I added more and re-heated and it liquefied just fine... using the temp conversion BeeCurious provided I heated to 126, cooled and whipped to fondant no problems. I think the minor caramelization I got from re-heating will be OK... it's going into molds (with some pollen sub) and on to bees as soon as temps permit.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There's some confusion on these posts as to F or C temps; the numbers just don't jive.

When I get my sugar/water mix up to 246 degrees F, most all of the water is cooked out (no more steam comes off of it). As it cools down to around 210F I put it in the mix-master along with some honey; after 15 minutes of slow churning it comes back to a semi-crystalline consistency; then it's into a baking pan to solidify into breakable or cut bricks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the recipe I use to make fondant, it always achieves a soft ball texture with no lumps or bumps
1 Kg of granulated sugar
300 ml of water
25 g of glucose syrup

method;
heat the water and syrup in a pan until the syrup dissolves into the water
Add the sugar and continue stirring until the mixture has started to boil
reduce heat to a medium level
continue to boil until temperature reaches 117 degrees Celsius
Cool quickly by placing pan in a container of cold water
Keep stirring until the mixture becomes a soft ball consistency
Empty fondant onto a cool surface until it is cool enough to handle
Place fondant into an air tight container.
Sorry about the metric measurements and temperature.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Michael, that should have been +100 F throughout. Brain freeze. OP edited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts