Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Can I get some ideas for making and feeding sugar syrup to 30+ colonies that don't involve 5 gallon buckets and a kitchen floor that is still sticky after washing?

Most yards I can drive my pickup to within about 30 feet of the hives.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
760 Posts
you can buy HFCS -

if you want do it OUT side !!!! take your standard garden hose and screw it into the hot water spicket from your washing machine - and just run it outside - then turn up your hot water tank to the scorch position and let er rip ----- just put things back before the wife gets home so that no one gets hurt - mainly you !!!

at our house we have a very large deep sink that we can fit 2 6 gal buckets in and we mix up 6 buckets a time and dont make a mess -

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Most yards I can drive my pickup to within about 30 feet of the hives.
Save your back and have all yards so you can drive your truck right to the hives.

Mix your syrup in a 55 gallon drum that has a threaded hole on the bottom side for a valve. A turkey fryer burner can be used to create your hot water in a canning pot or any other large vessel that you can pick up safely.

·
Registered
676 Posts
For around 30 colonies, two 5-gallon buckets should keep them busy for the better part of a day. And, of course, you can mix those up at home.

For more colonies, the 55-gallon metal drum heated by a turkey fryer burner is a good solution. Stir with an electric trolling motor or a boat oar. If you have electricity available, a water heater element screwed into the side of a metal drum works well also.

After that, you may want to consider a truck mounted tank, made of white food grade plastic. 250 gallon tank with an electric trolling motor to stir, and a small 12 volt electric pump and hose, refilling feeders of any type is a breeze. But, that's a set up you may want to wait until you're around 100+ hives first.

My biggest problem is keeping raccoons and opossums out of the feeder drums/buckets while I'm busy feeding!

DS

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know a guy that feeds with one of those atv spray tanks. He uses syurp and uses the hose to fill the feeders. pretty slick system to watch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made one from the ATV tank. I mix right in the tank, using electric drill. I also added a 50' food grade hose to the output of the pump, removed the sprayer tip, but left on the wand hand control. I hooked up the 12v motor to the trailer plug on my truck. SO I pull into the bee yard, plug the pump into the trailer plug and feed away. No mess mixing, and no mess feeding. It works great.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Can I get some ideas for making and feeding sugar syrup to 30+ colonies that don't involve 5 gallon buckets and a kitchen floor that is still sticky after washing?

"Given enough constraints anything can be made impossible."--Michael Bush

1 - 10 of 10 Posts