Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new beek, I made a split about 10 days ago from my #1 hive , letting them make there own queen. I was going to use brood from my #2 hive and make another split . I decided to order a queen from W. Kelley, which I did. The queen is supposed to ship tuesday the 17th. After ordering the queen, I found wax moths in the #2 hive, where I was going to get a frame of brood from. I had to freeze 4 frames from hive 2, mostly brood. . Now I am short of brood in hive 2 to make a split, the queen is ordered, A fellow beek has offered me a frame of brood. Can I do this? If so what is the fewest frames I can get by with? I really don't want to take his brood, but I think I have no choice. I have plenty frames of honey. Do I just get one frame of his brood and take whatever nurse bees stay on his frame, put a couple frames of my honey in, some drawn comb and an empty frame and hope for the best? What messes we get ourselves into. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It sounds to me like you are getting a bit ahead of yourself in wanting to increase your numbers. There are several things working against you right now- the time of year...make small splits... dearth...wax moth pressure...robbing...etc

I would cancel the order for the queen, and try to encourage hive #2 to build it's population back up. I'm guessing the reason for the amount of moth damage is due to a smaller population of bees than their should be for this time of the year.

I like my splits to have at least 3 frames of brood 2 with pollen and honey, and a healthy shake of aditional nurse bees, and I like to do them much earlier than now in the season.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WallieB, I was just wanting someone to tell me to do that. I just called and cancelled the queen. Sometimes we just want to be coaxed along. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts