Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a catcher that I hadn't seen before and it looked pretty easy to make, so I made it. I made a video showing how I made it and used it. It gave me some ideas for future iterations that I might try later.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not to be snobby, BUT, fingers work pretty well, are always there when you need them, your not going to lose them in the grass, and are pretty darned cheap. My guess is that in the time it takes to build any kind of accessory, however clever it may be, a guy could practice on a dozen drones and feel pretty confident about marking queens.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
All true and a skill worth having. Of course, I am always making things in my workshop. This is just another thing.
Somewhere I have seen a very similar frame setup but the screen is a form of elasticized thread that would be a bit more forgiving to press the queen against. The plastic bars of many cheap plunger queen catchers is too thick and makes it difficult to apply the paint through.

Finger catching queens is out for me. I could manage drones but when the consequences of squishing a queen loom in my mind, my tremor rises into the Richter Scale!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts