Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small town, and they didn't have any #8 hardware cloth. They did have aluminum screen. It bends and cuts easily but... will it work? And this may be a really dumb question but can the bees chew through it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It should be ridgid enough to be pressed into the comb quite far. I have found the workers will chew at the wax
to get underneath the screen to get at the queen.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,459 Posts
I haven't had the bees chew thru any of the window screen that I have in my hive. They have covered some of it in propolus, but I dont think that would be a problem with a push in cage.

Another option that I have heard of that may be easier with window screen is to staple it to the frame instead of bending it and pushing it in. It will be harder to remove and the workers can not chew under it (if you have plastic foundation) but the function may be close enough.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I live in a small town, and they didn't have any #8 hardware cloth. They did have aluminum screen. It bends and cuts easily but... will it work? And this may be a really dumb question but can the bees chew through it?
Does UPS deliver? I could only find large rolls at the big box stores, ended up buying a 10ft roll on amazon. I got it Prime with free two day shipping too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You can get #8 wire cloth from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster Carr. Part number 9217T43

You can purchase it by the foot. Pay attention to the price breaks at certain quantities. Six feet of it will cost you less than five feet of it. There is also a price break at 20 ft. If you are buying 15 feet you may as well buy 20ft, you'll get five feet more for just 35¢ more.

Its less per foot than the 3x10 roll on Amazon and heavier wire gauge, but you will have to pay shipping.

The wire diameter is .017, which has 43% more cross section that the 27 gauge wire Amazon product. Every joint is also welded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts