Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to make a drone trap that doesn't disturb pollen? I took a look at one on Dadant's or somewhere, but I really don't get the principle.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Why are you looking to trap drones?

There are frames made that are for drone brood, and hence mite control. You take the frame out put it the freezer over night, kill the drone brood and mites. Put it backin the hive and the bees will clean it and use it again.

But, other than AI, I don't know what you would be using drones for.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just as soon leave the drones alone. It helps to keep the moral of the bees intact plus you have them if something happens to the queen and the new virgin needs to be mated. She can mate any wares from 8 - 20 drones. If you have several queens being rased then you can see why you need so may of them. They also feed the birds. If they don't eat drones then they will eat the workers. Just my $0.02 as a queen bee breeder.
Dan

·
Registered
458 Posts
bjerm2,

I thought I read in a previous post by you that the queen will not mate with drones from her own hive and will fly miles to find drones - this way she wont inter-breed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have 18 hives and I have 18 mating nucs on top of them. This supplies my drones for my hives. I also inseminate them just to keep my line for my breeders. The other mating nucs that I make up over the summer will mate with the drones from all these hives in the open. As far as the queens are concerned these drones are not from their hive.
Dan

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"But, other than AI, I don't know what you would be using drones for."

I thought I could train them to aplaud wildly for GW Bush anytime the word "terrorism" or "danger" or "faith" is used. Then I could rent them out to the RNC.

Actually, I just want them out of the hive, even if they can't become delegates. I had laying workers earlier this year and there is quite a hangover.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I assume you mean an entrance gaurd?"

Well, I tried that MB, and it left me with a little mound of pollen at the entrance, which I wanted to avoid if possible. I think MagnetMan's plan works to only pass them through the excluder on the way out. I'm going to try it this weekend, unless the girls have already done the job...but as I said, there are several thousand so I don't know if they can evict them very well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks MM, I'm trying it this weekend. Looks like the idea is just pass them through on the way out, not in. I hope this setup doesn't interfere too much with their coming and going. Have you used it?

K

·
0 Posts
Hey Darrel
You can in fact train them to applaude, I had the same problem earlier, and figured why not?

I offered them to that big gathering in Boston, but they said they already had way too many!!

Good luck! They will be out soon. Whether that is your doings or not. Just make sure they get lots of sugar. My hive is really only just recovering now, the new bees were only starting to fly as of about last week.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yes. The second bee escape cone is to prevent the blond bees from trying to enter the hive through the queen excluder and getting stuck because of the 1st bee escape. You do not have to use bee escape cones. You can make your bee escapes out of screen if you want to.

The plans don't show it but you need to put cleanout door in the trap. The drones will be trapped between the 1st bee escape cone and the queen excluder.

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited September 01, 2004).]

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Ron the dimensions are not really critical if you use off the shelf parts, queen excluder and cones. Since this is a long weekend, I will take some pictures and measurements and post them. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Magnet-man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts