Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start making 5 frame nucs. For overwintering I would like to sit them side by side on standard bottom boards. If I make them out of 1/2 plywood I am thinking that the length and width would just overlap the bottom board by 1/4" on all sides.
1. Are my calculations correct?
2. Do you forsee any issues with that?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'm thinking make standard boxes, then cut some plywood pieces (a little longer in length ) add some 3/8" cleats for the boxes to set on. Then you've got standard boxes for the summertime also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
most box's r mad of 3/4 inch wood all sides. so if u just use 3/8 thick on just the 2 sides of each box (3/8 +3/8 = 3/4) would be like equal to having 1 big box with 3/4 sides (hope that's not messing u up) normal box 3/4 each side so total of 1 1/2 wood if all sides were 1/4 would only be total of a 1 inch so u would have to use 3/8 on all sides to total 1 1/2 inches u see? and would be the exact fit on the inside to have 5 frames to thin to have a rabbit joint just would have to put a small rail to hold the frames or go back and use 3/4 on the front and back with the 3/8 x 5/8 rabbit

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
so if u just use 3/8 thick on just the 2 sides of each box (3/8 +3/8 = 3/4) would be like equal to having 1 big box with 3/4 sides (hope that's not messing u up) normal box 3/4 each side so total of 1 1/2 wood if all sides were 1/4 would only be total of a 1 inch so u would have to use 3/8 on all sides to total 1 1/2 inches u see?
I am finishing some narrow walled nucs (8) like that as starter nucs for myself. But remember you have half the wood thickness for insulation and I would worry about that during the winter. If your region really gets cold they might have issues with not enough insulation. We only get down to or around freezing for 7 to 10 days at a time and the lowest I have seen on the records is like 14 degrees. Days below 28 are rare. But I am next to the gulf coast and it helps keep us warm.

Just not sure about how these nucs will deal with the summer heat if we push into the low 100s again. I can see all the comb melting due to lack insulation.

My son called them ghetto nucs cause they are from scrap lumber and well between my carpentry skills and my current primitive shop, they do resemble a slum lord's dream. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am finishing some narrow walled nucs (8) like that as starter nucs for myself. But remember you have half the wood thickness for insulation and I would worry about that during the winter. If your region really gets cold they might have issues with not enough insulation. We only get down to or around freezing for 7 to 10 days at a time and the lowest I have seen on the records is like 14 degrees. Days below 28 are rare. But I am next to the gulf coast and it helps keep us warm.

Just not sure about how these nucs will deal with the summer heat if we push into the low 100s again. I can see all the comb melting due to lack insulation.

My son called them ghetto nucs cause they are from scrap lumber and well between my carpentry skills and my current primitive shop, they do resemble a slum lord's dream. :rolleyes:
Pictures PLEASE:}

·
Registered
454 Posts
I made mine as Levi said with 3/8 sides and 3/4 ends. They winter well eight to a pallet using the same size wrap that I use for my standard size hives. I don't have extreme heat but even with a dark stain I haven't seen any sign of melting comb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well I am in CT and it sure has been cold this winter, though my georgia bees are still going strong out there, and I have my fingers crossed. I am thinking that I will be able to line these nucs up side by side for wintering which I think will help them out,and I can also add some foam insulation boards in front and back for winter.
I like the idea of ghetto nucs, to me the cheaper the better!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I wouldn't want the walls that thin in CT. Maybe 3/16" Luan on one side and 3/4" on the other and put the Luan sides together? Or make both sides Luan and then glue styrofoam on one side which will go on the outside? Or, if you just make them out of 3/4" stock and 8 1/8" wide (outside) you'll have two four frame nucs that will fit...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't want the walls that thin in CT. Maybe 3/16" Luan on one side and 3/4" on the other and put the Luan sides together? Or make both sides Luan and then glue styrofoam on one side which will go on the outside? Or, if you just make them out of 3/4" stock and 8 1/8" wide (outside) you'll have two four frame nucs that will fit...
Thanks Michael, I would like to use these as bait hives as well, (two stacked for that) and also if I am successful I would like to sell some of them in the spring, so for those two reasons I want to keep cost down.
Yes I am thinking of having them side by side insulating each other and on the sides exposed using securing foam insulation board to the outside.
Now I am trying to decide if I want to do them deeps or medium. I like how you just use all medium so everything is interchangeable, so make my nucs the same, but I am wondering about the market for them if I sell them, will people want deep frames??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts