Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sweep all those little crunchy bodies and mix em into a bowl of chocolate.

Sell em at a local farmers market as a delicacy.

Make money to buy the next packages.

What do you think?

Big Bear

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sell em overseas, people buy all kinds of chocolate covered bugs elsewhere in the world.

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yes, but those bugs are raised to be food...not dead bugs that somebody scooped up and covered in chocolate. They are raised in controlled environments on special food grade feeds.

I have eaten live brood, tastes like honey covered almonds.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, sheesh, we won't tell that we just scooped em up.

Trade secrets and all ya know.

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
"Yeah. You know, you gotta be careful of dead bees. They can sting ya just as bad as live ones, especially if they was kinda mad when they got killed."

Wayne

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about just the drones? they have no stingers.

Big Bear

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have to agree with Bluegrass. All the protein foods we eat - and most of the vegetables too are dispatched while living, then prepared and eaten quickly. It is pretty unheard of to eat long dead anything. think roadkill, dead squirrel in the attic, etc. If it has been lying around too long - it is starting to decompose.

do all beeks a favor, don't serve that up.
now fresh drone brood - that is another story.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Why don't you serve these up with some adulterated and chemically polluted honey while you are at it? Don't bother telling folks you are selling them crap - trade secrets ya know.

And if the bees are a little moldy, so what? Who cares if the dead bees have toxic molds growing on/in them? You only want to make enough money to buy a new package - who cares if your buyer gets sick or dies, as long as you made a couple quick bucks?

sell em overseas, people buy all kinds of chocolate covered bugs elsewhere in the world.

Oh really? Other than ants, what chocolate covered insects do people overseas eat?

What do you think?

I think if someone did some research on eating bugs, they'd find that it is usually the larval forms that are eaten. You normally eat the soft juicy critters, not the crunchy ones.

I also think that you just guaranteed that no one on here will buy any honey from you - you don't care if stuff is contaminated or poisonous. You seem to be looking for a quick buck, with little or no regard to the buyer.

I also think stupidity like this is what gives honest sellers of bee products a bad name. This is no different than selling adulterated/contaminated honey.

I have heard that in some ethnic areas, there is a market for dead bees - but they don't cover them in chocolate and eat them.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As usual, the no sense of humor crowd has come out with both feet.

Actually for those who are so in the dark, chocolate covered crickets, grasshoppers, ants, and beetles are served in several parts of the world including Asia, Africa and South America.

If you delicate palates are too high born for such fare, that's just more for those wh odon't mind those things.

And yes, for the humor challenged, this idea was a joke. Imagine anyone trying to be humorous around here.

the usual suspects responded as expected.

For those with a sense of humor that replied, thanks for playing along.

And CB, WOW, just ..WOW. When are the meds supposed to kick in?

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
That's one thing that stinks about the internet. You can't hear the inflection of the questions or the twinkle in the eye. Anyone, who's cleaned out a dead out should know even covering them in chocolate won't cover the underlying rotting insect flavor. This whole thing's a joke.

Would people buy them? Sadly, a few would invariable buy them. There are suckers born every minute. Think of the bee related things you've bought that didn't perform as advertised. Repeat sales of these chocolate covered bees would be very doubtful though. However, anyone would be a fool to even contemplate making them, much less selling them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
:doh: Bigbear, you just burst my bubble!!! I had gone out yesterday to gather up the bees from my only dead out... and even though they were kinda squishy soft, I was going to package them up to send to you. I'm actually kinda partial to fried grasshoppers, myself. Wrong time of year for them though. :lpf:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts